HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Textures are on models but REALLY dark...  (Read 1494 times)

SPayne

• General Accounts
  • The 5th Realm MMORPG
    • View Profile
    • The 5th Realm MMORPG

This is my last barrier as I've figured out everything else.

The last problem is this...

The models show up in HE, their accompanying physics boxes are not rotated wrong and they are textured BUT....they still show up black because they are so dark.  Its like they were imported with no light map of any kind but I can still tell the textures are there because when I get close to it and click on it, it highlights just enough for a split second that I can see them.  This is a multi-material/Hero material object FYI.

If I create a fresh new box in Max that is just one Hero material and export that then it works just fine, textures and all.  Is there something that I'm forgetting here?  Because at this point it seems like something obvious and I've just beaten my head against the wall so much I'm blind to it.

The multi material model is imported from other sources and not created new so I'm wondering is there something with those models that needs to be reset so the textures are not dark? Or is there another setting I'm missing?  (If any HE-people want to take a look please feel free.)
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 04:33:09 PM by HE-Cooper »
I see it all in my mind.

HE-CHRISTOPHER

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Christopher Larsen
CTO
HeroEngine

SPayne

• General Accounts
  • The 5th Realm MMORPG
    • View Profile
    • The 5th Realm MMORPG
Re: Textures are on models but REALLY dark...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 12, 01:18:38 AM »

I posted about this in the sticky but the deal DID turn out to be the vertex paint color.  Although I NEVER, EVER messed with vertex paint at all, in ANY of my modeling programs, I found out that every single one of my models that I imported from another modeler ended up having a lot of their "controlling numbers" reset to zero.  In 3D World Studio, FILE COMPATIBILITY was causing all my saved .3DW files to be COMPLETELY EMPTY! In Max, this included ALL the colors for the vertex painting and the color you get when everything is set to zero is....(drum roll please)... BLACK.

I have not yet determined why File Compatibility does this but for now my workaround is to simply save files on a different drive or at least NOT in either of the "program files" directories.
I see it all in my mind.