HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Can not get MAX to export properly  (Read 2491 times)

Sparkling

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Can not get MAX to export properly
« on: Jan 17, 12, 02:57:59 PM »

I have two artists with MAX licenses trying to get our art into Hero.  We have tried importing it in FBX and Collada format. The artwork can be loaded into MAX fine, edited as needed (sometimes they have to be re-textured), saved in MAX format. Getting art into MAX is not the problem, just to be clear.

Getting the HERO scripts from the "Art Pipeline" to actually export the models is proving to be a terminal nightmare. They won't export. One artist continually gets errors that say he has to resize the model before he can export it, and when he does, the model collapses and there is no mesh left to export.

The other artist can't get it to export at all. And he is working on multiple projects, including one using the BigWorld engine, and ours with the Hero engine. He has no problem getting his art to export to BigWorld. But he
"will not edit the:

On the "System" tab, select the "Additional Startup Scripts" line, then press the "Modify..." button.

I have to leave it as is or I wont be able to export to big world. I tried moving HE's scripts into that folder but it doesnt work maybe something else needs tobe in there.
But I cannot change the paths I already have. I do have the 3rd party part working just fine.
The error comes up as soon as I select export selected."

And yes, we've read every "Art Depot" and "art Pipeline" wiki page we can find. They have followed the tutorials and instructions. I installed my Educational License for Max to try and help with another pair of eyes to figure out what the problem was and could not even figure out how to get the Hero Plugin installed. I don't know why this has to be so difficult.  What is wrong with just having a NORMAL exporter that will convert a file to your proprietary format? Why does it have to be so torturous?  This art pipeline could be a deal breaker for our team.

Attached is a screenshot of the error from the artist who can't get the exporter to work at all.

Thanks for any help you can give.
-Sparkling
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 01:26:52 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Can not get MAX to export properly
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 12, 03:29:01 PM »

Your first Artist's Max is currently setup to export to big world, just like he'd have to set it up to export to HeroEngine. It looks like he says above that he can't add additional startup scripts because he thinks it will prevent him from being able to export to Bigworld. So is he following all of the setup steps? I'm confused.

The missing GES file for your second artist, or you, looks like a file isn't in that directory. I see some other threads on the forums about people not getting one of the files for various reasons, and having to copy it over. I'll look around.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 12, 03:34:13 PM »

Looks like the other two devs that got this error, just took all the GES files out of the art pipeline package and placed them into the folder max says it wants them in, and fixed it.

Sparkling

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 12, 03:59:01 PM »

Thank you for responding.

Correction however. The first artist is NOT exporting to Bigworld. He is ONLY exporting to Hero. And the exporter simply doesn't work.  It tells him he has to resize the model, so he does, and then it collapses. There is no mesh left to export. He does get to the point where he can attempt to export the model but the export fails.

The second artist (the one with the GES error) is the one who has to retain his ability to export to Bigworld. He already tried putting the files in the same folder with his Bigworld scripts and it doesn't work.  He never gets to the point where he can attempt to export the model.

They both have been given the link to this thread so they can read your replies, even if I have to walk away from my desk. :)

No report yet from my third artist friend who was going to attempt this. His initial investigation into it was that it was too complicated to experiment with before he had to go to bed that night, and he would try again as soon as he had more time to work with it.

So why isn't there a simple plugin that all you have to do is just export the model? Why does it have to be so painfully complicated? Other game engines can use proprietary model formats without such intense headaches in the exporter process.  This is really draining the enthusiasm out of the project.

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 12, 04:07:19 PM »

He could try just setting up the additional scripts path for whatever he's working on at the time.  Sure, it's a few extra clicks each time he'd want to switch to what engine he's working on but do what ya gotta do.

Also, if he just moved the scripts, he's likely having trouble because he didn't move the other files along with them (the .ges files in the starter folder, maybe even the exporter folder itself, I honestly don't know).  I also think it has to keep the same file structure so if he needs to keep that bigworld folder setup, he'll have to toy around with moving files to certain locations.

As for the xform resizing error, it can sometimes be ignored.  Has he tried just not resizing anything and exporting anyway?  (there's even a checkmark for ignoring the error)

If I got it all to work on the first try, it can't be all that complicated lol.  Put folders in right spot, don't use spaces in any names (anywhere, even folders/directories), and it really should be pretty simple.  I understand the frustration though, I've hit snags before and wanted to throw my mouse across the room while kicking the monitor.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 12, 04:09:40 PM by Chromehound »

DNA_klownicus

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Voodoo Games
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 12, 10:20:21 PM »

I have two artists with MAX licenses trying to get our art into Hero.  We have tried importing it in FBX and Collada format. The artwork can be loaded into MAX fine, edited as needed (sometimes they have to be re-textured), saved in MAX format. Getting art into MAX is not the problem, just to be clear.

Getting the HERO scripts from the "Art Pipeline" to actually export the models is proving to be a terminal nightmare. They won't export. One artist continually gets errors that say he has to resize the model before he can export it, and when he does, the model collapses and there is no mesh left to export.

The other artist can't get it to export at all. And he is working on multiple projects, including one using the BigWorld engine, and ours with the Hero engine. He has no problem getting his art to export to BigWorld. But he
"will not edit the:

On the "System" tab, select the "Additional Startup Scripts" line, then press the "Modify..." button.

I have to leave it as is or I wont be able to export to big world. I tried moving HE's scripts into that folder but it doesnt work maybe something else needs tobe in there.
But I cannot change the paths I already have. I do have the 3rd party part working just fine.
The error comes up as soon as I select export selected."

And yes, we've read every "Art Depot" and "art Pipeline" wiki page we can find. They have followed the tutorials and instructions. I installed my Educational License for Max to try and help with another pair of eyes to figure out what the problem was and could not even figure out how to get the Hero Plugin installed. I don't know why this has to be so difficult.  What is wrong with just having a NORMAL exporter that will convert a file to your proprietary format? Why does it have to be so torturous?  This art pipeline could be a deal breaker for our team.

Attached is a screenshot of the error from the artist who can't get the exporter to work at all.

Thanks for any help you can give.
-Sparkling

not trying to be a jerk but...you said they have licenses, yet the picture says unregistered version.

Sparkling

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 12, 11:10:38 PM »

For anyone else having trouble with this, one of my artists got a model to export and load into the game. Here is what he said:

The simple houses were easy as I just ran them through milkshape and regrouped the meshes into 1 mesh. HE doesnt like multiple meshes unless they are grouped together.

Note: When exporting multiple objects at once, be sure to group them together before exporting so that they'll be interpreted as a single mesh in the HeroEngine. Multiple separate meshes contained in a single file will result in errors.

So in max you would select all the meshes and then go up to group and select group. When you go to export it will warn you about draw calls. As each mesh requires a draw call.

Now for scaling if you scale the model down in max you may get a message when exporting asking you to reset x form or something. Where it has the max scripts there is a reset xform button click that and while you have all the meshes effected click reset. Then you should be able to export again.

Thank you to those of you who offered feedback and helpful suggestions.

-Sparkling

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 12, 02:18:24 AM »

For anyone else having trouble with this, one of my artists got a model to export and load into the game. Here is what he said:

The simple houses were easy as I just ran them through milkshape and regrouped the meshes into 1 mesh. HE doesnt like multiple meshes unless they are grouped together.

Note: When exporting multiple objects at once, be sure to group them together before exporting so that they'll be interpreted as a single mesh in the HeroEngine. Multiple separate meshes contained in a single file will result in errors.

So in max you would select all the meshes and then go up to group and select group. When you go to export it will warn you about draw calls. As each mesh requires a draw call.

Now for scaling if you scale the model down in max you may get a message when exporting asking you to reset x form or something. Where it has the max scripts there is a reset xform button click that and while you have all the meshes effected click reset. Then you should be able to export again.

Thank you to those of you who offered feedback and helpful suggestions.

-Sparkling

In addition to this post: Grouping is fine, but it is not recommended, since it will result in multiple drawcalls. I always use the "Attach", which then results into only 1 drawcall. (Or Attach List and just attach all to the base model).

Sparkling

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 12, 01:30:28 PM »

Thank you Dwight!  Your help is much appreciated!

God bless you,
-Sparkling