HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Highlighting parts of character  (Read 2769 times)

Kalagaraz

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Highlighting parts of character
« on: Jan 21, 12, 03:22:06 PM »

What functions can I use to highlight parts of a character? Like say I want to make a players arm take on a red hue or something. I need to do this from the scripting language. I'm guessing I may need to use a "dynamic texture bank" and then just switch out textures when I need to highlight something?

Hoping there was a way I could do it dynamically without having to use custom textures or anything.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 12, 03:08:37 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Highlighting parts of character
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 12, 09:49:19 AM »

I'd have to double check, but off of the top of my head, you could change the diffuse or alpha, attach particle effects, mess with shaders (in 1.80 you'll be able to have more shaders), swap the part for another part, or tint some or all of texture.

Kalagaraz

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 12, 12:02:55 PM »

I'd have to double check, but off of the top of my head, you could change the diffuse or alpha, attach particle effects, mess with shaders (in 1.80 you'll be able to have more shaders), swap the part for another part, or tint some or all of texture.

I need to come up with a way to do efficiently as it needs to work on all NPCs in the game, would it not be inefficient to have all NPCs be dynamic characters? I'm hoping there is a way to do it without involving extra artist work on every NPC model in game. I tried to tint the textures using

SetTexturePieceColorDirectly() but it doesn't do anything if i'm just using a bare arm part on character model.

What's the timeline on 1.80?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 12, 03:24:25 PM »

But remember, if the NPCs aren't dynamic, then how would you identify the section of mesh or texture you wanted to highlight? If you are trying to highlight a specific section of an NPC that is not dynamic, no special trick or shader is going to help, your best bet would be to attach something to a bone. It could be a particle effect, mesh, or even a camera facing texture, or light source, etc.

Kalagaraz

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 12, 05:31:36 PM »

But remember, if the NPCs aren't dynamic, then how would you identify the section of mesh or texture you wanted to highlight? If you are trying to highlight a specific section of an NPC that is not dynamic, no special trick or shader is going to help, your best bet would be to attach something to a bone. It could be a particle effect, mesh, or even a camera facing texture, or light source, etc.

Are dynamic characters much more of a performance hit than static characters? The highlighting also only needs to be visual on client, doesn't need to be sync'd to all clients. Not really sure what kind of particle effect I could create to really highlight it that "left arm" is selected, or "right leg" etc...

I see what your saying though attaching to the rigged bones would be the best route and requires no additional effort on the artists, but I just can't think of a good artistic way of showing it that it is highlighted and still fit a kind of medieval style.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 12, 06:36:46 PM »

Gotta think outside the box. Though without knowing your gameplan or style or systems etc, it's tough to be much help. You could have particle fx that were identical sectioned meshes loaded on the bone that pulsate and glow. Now I'm just making stuff up, but you get the point.

As for performance, as with anything, more stuff equals more draw calls, more texture memory, same old story.