HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Bones in static object?  (Read 1546 times)

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Bones in static object?
« on: Jan 22, 12, 04:57:23 AM »

HI,
I'd like to use bones to define spots on my models (for example, when player attacks a building, it will start to burn - where the fire particle appears should be defined by artist in 3ds max). Is there a way to do so? Only thing I found that supports bones are the characters, which have several disadvantages (must be in characters folder, skining, etc). Is there a simple way to add pivot points to your assets in HE?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 01:21:50 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Bones in static object?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 12, 09:11:52 AM »

Actually, you can export static assets with bones, though it may not be mentioned on the wiki. 

I did a quick test with and without a simple smooth bind (doesn't matter cause there is no animation, so no time wasted painting weights) and in both cases the HeroViewer shows all the bones.  If you don't skin it a default bone will also be created at the pivot point of the model.

Then you just us bone trackers in HSL to position the particle effects at the desired points.

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 12, 12:42:26 AM »

Actually, you can export static assets with bones, though it may not be mentioned on the wiki. 

I did a quick test with and without a simple smooth bind (doesn't matter cause there is no animation, so no time wasted painting weights) and in both cases the HeroViewer shows all the bones.  If you don't skin it a default bone will also be created at the pivot point of the model.

Then you just us bone trackers in HSL to position the particle effects at the desired points.

Thanks for answering, I'll definitely look at it :)

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 12, 03:42:01 AM »

Just a question, HE-BENNETT: how do you attack those bones to the base model? You mentioned it is not necessary to skin the object (so no Skin modifier and choosing bones). I am kinda noob in this aspect of 3ds max so I would welcome any info.. Thanks

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 12, 09:41:08 AM »

Well I checked in Maya as that is what I had open, but I believe this works the same in 3ds Max, as it is really a function of how the HeroEngine Exporter works.

Basically, you DON'T attach the bones in any special way.  Just create them where you need them and the exporter will do the rest.

Specifically:

If you do Static Asset > Export Unhidden, leave the bones visible in the scene.

If you do Static Asset > Export Selected, make sure you've selected both the mesh AND the bones.

Doing this should include both the mesh and the bones in the exported file.  To check if it worked, you can open the file with the HeroEngine Viewer, which is included in the Art Pipeline Package. (To tell the viewer to display bones, do this:  Click "Back to Main Menu" > "Skeletons" > then select "Joints" and "Bone Connectors")

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 12, 01:04:03 PM »

Well I checked in Maya as that is what I had open, but I believe this works the same in 3ds Max, as it is really a function of how the HeroEngine Exporter works.

Basically, you DON'T attach the bones in any special way.  Just create them where you need them and the exporter will do the rest.

Specifically:

If you do Static Asset > Export Unhidden, leave the bones visible in the scene.

If you do Static Asset > Export Selected, make sure you've selected both the mesh AND the bones.

Doing this should include both the mesh and the bones in the exported file.  To check if it worked, you can open the file with the HeroEngine Viewer, which is included in the Art Pipeline Package. (To tell the viewer to display bones, do this:  Click "Back to Main Menu" > "Skeletons" > then select "Joints" and "Bone Connectors")

Thanks, I tried this and the viewer really shows the bones in place :) However, when I try to load the model into scene, console says:

Code: [Select]
!ERROR!System:ModelGroup::Load() attempting to load [\objects\structures\houses\house_wooden\house_wooden_01.hgm], had a model not part of LOD chain: [BasicHouse]) and we already had our base model specified
The 'BasicHouse' thing is the default bone it created automatically as you mentioned. Any idea how should I flag the bones or something?

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 12, 06:00:44 PM »

Hmmmm, well maybe just skin it to the bones then.  Since you don't need it to move, the default skin weights should be just fine.