HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Getting a Characters resourcename  (Read 1005 times)

Fi-EldonKurth

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Getting a Characters resourcename
« on: Jan 22, 12, 08:32:45 PM »

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get the fx system to take a character model in for the ResourceName but alas no dice. How does one use a character model in the FX tools. my example is I am moving two instances of the selected character away from the character and then bringing them back in. On top of that the instances are also being faded in and out as the move.

Basically the issue I am running into, How do I use a character model for and FX system?

Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 02:33:29 PM by HE-Cooper »

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Getting a Characters resourcename [resolved]
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 12, 01:19:17 AM »

I don't know if anyone was interested in this, but I came up with a solution.

The FX has a few model creating tasks and what I did was set the ControlScript field of the fx group to one of our scripts.  In that, I put a defintion of _OnFxGroupPreLoad() and in it, for this fx group, I get a handle to those model tasks via the group's get task by name method and set their resourceName to a value gotten from the group's dynamic data field.  Finally, when playing the FX, I supply to the method a data lookup with the desired model file path, thus declaring the model to use in the FX.

Now that I am understanding the concept, I can see how the dynamic data argument can be very useful in many ways for customizing FX and thus not requiring so many FX be made for every different situation that could come up. ;D
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.