HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Looking for a good book on Terrain  (Read 2355 times)

Pole418

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Looking for a good book on Terrain
« on: Jan 27, 12, 12:05:19 PM »

I am looking for a good book on designing, creating, and texturing terrain. 

We are using a third party program to assist in generating some of our terrain, and while reading up on the program I came across some very interesting tutorials and such, but I would actually like to dive deeper into the process.

Does anyone know of any good reads?  I would like to learn a bit more of the theory, processes, tools, and terminology.  I know no one book will never cover EVERYTHING but I am looking for a good jump-off point.

Let me know if you have any suggestions and thanks!

quakkeldackel

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a good book on Terrain
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 12, 06:24:45 AM »

Texturing and Modeling, Third Edition: A Procedural Approach

This is my bible if it comes to generation of natural looking procedural terrain and textures. Goes into the techniques of creating textures and the math behind natural looking stuff.
If you are looking for a more "how to" approach i would recommend you to watch some terrain tutorials for the tool of your choice.
regards!
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 12, 06:30:31 AM by quakkeldackel »

Pole418

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 12, 08:07:58 AM »

Hey thanks for the reply!  I will add it to my reading list! 

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 12, 12:18:21 PM »

will be better off watching Torque, Unity, UDk and Cryengine terrain tutorials as HeroEngine is exactly the same (except has more/better tools). You can find those on youtube.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 12, 04:16:31 AM »

Ugh, watching videos on youtube is the easy way out, and they don't go into detail about considerations that you have to make. It's not simply creating a terrain, placing assets that look nice, etc. But you also have to take into consideration where to place lights, enemies, particles, NPC Movements, Monster movement and AI, ugh so much.

I read "Ultimate Game Design, Building game worlds" by Tom Meigs. He talks about the different and diverse subjects that you need to get you going. He also talks about where to look out for if you are building an MMO world.

WoE-Byron

• World Owner
  • WoE Online Project Manager
    • View Profile
    • Carbon Studios

Pole418

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 12, 08:02:45 AM »

Wow it's funny you metion Ultimate Game Design, Building game worlds.  I bought that at a garage sale years ago for a dollar!  I don't remember if I have read it yet.  I will dust it off and see what gems I can find.

I have watched SOOOO many videos on this already.  I am really looking more into theory and best practices right now.  I have been reading   3D Game Environments: Create Professional 3D Game Worlds  the last few days.  It has a ton of good information on optimization practices and such. 

I am a big reader so I tend to grab a book and dive in head first...   Now if there was only a HeroEngine book...  Ah well the wiki will suffice!

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 12, 11:26:20 AM »

Wow it's funny you metion Ultimate Game Design, Building game worlds.  I bought that at a garage sale years ago for a dollar!  I don't remember if I have read it yet.  I will dust it off and see what gems I can find.

I have watched SOOOO many videos on this already.  I am really looking more into theory and best practices right now.  I have been reading   3D Game Environments: Create Professional 3D Game Worlds  the last few days.  It has a ton of good information on optimization practices and such. 

I am a big reader so I tend to grab a book and dive in head first...   Now if there was only a HeroEngine book...  Ah well the wiki will suffice!

I am writing an extensive tutorial anyways about assets and how to put assets into your game. Just give me a couple of more days :P