HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Combat?  (Read 3447 times)

logandilts

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Combat?
« on: Jan 23, 11, 07:52:09 PM »

i know this is a pretty broad question... but i'm wondering if hero engine can handle more action oriented combat like that found in Continent of the Ninth.

PvP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF1qeBjkQvM#ws
PvE - http://www.youtube.com/user/steparu?blend=1&ob=4#p/search/11/IJk1lsUCS4k

i love the world building and basic MMO features of HeroEngine... but i'm wondering how difficult it would be, or if it's even possible to implement an action oriented (non-tab targeting) combat system.

i realize it would take a lot of work, i'm just wondering if it would be worth it to take the time to build something within the HeroEngine framework... or if we'd be better off designing our own combat system and then wrapping everything else around it.

any input would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 12, 08:39:39 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
Re: Combat?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 11, 09:08:57 PM »

Yes, it's completely doable.  Combat is implemented in HeroScript on the client and server as applicable.

The main thing to keep in mind with such an implementation (and this is a general issue, not a HeroEngine-specific issue) is that you'll be replicating data more often to simulate more "real time" combat.  That is probably exactly why that combat in the video is 1:1 in an arena setting

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy

logandilts

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 11, 01:11:44 PM »

thanks herb, that's great news.

- actually you can get up to 8v8 in a team deathmatch... and 4v4 within a dungeon instance with NPCs also in the mix.

the type of game i'm thinking of COULD be done similarly to C9 with lots of instancing and low player numbers... but it would be much, much better if it could be done without liberal use of instancing and a low player count per instance.

i guess a better question then would be is it possible to do this kind of combat in an open world environment without needing to break things up into small zones with loading screens in between.

i'm thinking of a system similar to a rendering system that only renders objects within a certain range... is it possible to extend that line of thinking so that the server only communicates to the client what is within a certain range... so it wouldn't matter how many people are actually in the zone, but instead it would only matter how many people are within your visible range. so a zone cap wouldn't matter, but there would be a cap on the number of people within range of you.. and there could be an algorithm so that even when this number is exceeded, the game still displays the most important players within your vicinity and worries less about the less important players...

ideally instead of 1 big server for the entire zone, you would then have many smaller servers (or the big server would be split up into different cores)... perhaps each player gets their own little server that broadcasts the players location to all other little servers, but only broadcasts additional information (the bulk of combat) when the location IDs given by 2 servers are within a certain range of each other.

i hope that makes sense...

i'm not a programmer, so i don't know if this is even feasible.. or maybe these kinds of systems already exist... or maybe there is a much simpler way to achieve the desired outcome...  any info would be much appreciated.

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 11, 02:06:14 PM »

HeroEngine allows you to do all that

You can break large spaces into seamless areas, and replicate data based on area of interest

Like I said, the main issue is just bandwidth and data replication traffic which HeroEngine can automatically handle and you can modify

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy

logandilts

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 11, 08:20:17 PM »

awesome.

thanks herb!