HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Resolved] From area id to noderef  (Read 4740 times)

Gothrek

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: From area id to noderef
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 12, 01:14:20 AM »

I think that the steps are:
1) world up event - start weather system
2) calculate the weather system in every areas (just calculate)
3) area up event - apply weather system in the area

Chobeat asks for "how can know all ids areas and where they are? and how can he gets the noderef to the relative areas"

RoC_Chobeat

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 12, 03:33:09 AM »

I think that the steps are:
1) world up event - start weather system
2) calculate the weather system in every areas (just calculate)
3) area up event - apply weather system in the area

Chobeat asks for "how can know all ids areas and where they are? and how can he gets the noderef to the relative areas"
Yeah, basically this. I don't really need those areas to be spun up, i just need the id to access the fields of the glommed class RoC_weather, which hold IE "currentWeather". Applying the weather effects is something i don't really need now, my problem is just about being able to access these fields and modify them, for every area in the game.

I can't do that exclusively for spun up areas because the weather of an area influences linked areas.

Gothrek

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 12, 04:03:29 AM »

news?

tks again.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 12, 07:57:11 AM »

Gothrek, I don't think there's any new information to be had. Everybody has weighed in. Chris's options are still your two options. Though the overwhelming consensus is that you should be using a system area and sending the data to the areas. There's no reason for an area to have knowledge of another area, since it's a master system that's handling it all.

Gothrek

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 12, 07:58:54 AM »

the Q is about how can know/take all ids areas, methods/functions etc

RoC_Chobeat

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 12, 08:17:03 AM »

Gothrek, I don't think there's any new information to be had. Everybody has weighed in. Chris's options are still your two options. Though the overwhelming consensus is that you should be using a system area and sending the data to the areas. There's no reason for an area to have knowledge of another area, since it's a master system that's handling it all.
That's what i did but i can't understand how to handle this. I can't undestand how can my system area get in touch with every area. I tought about registering every area to a list in my system area but i really don't know how, unless i do that OnAreaSpinUp, but i need it to be done even if the area doesn't spin up.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 12, 08:23:45 AM »

I think you guys should go back and read everyone's responses. I suspect there might be fundamental aspects of the engine, and client to server communication that are confounding you. When you come across a term like replication or remote calls, I would look them up on the wiki.

Between Chris's and Scout-SG's responses, I think you have all the keys to the kingdom.

But on a side note: frequently, developers new to the space want to implement powerful and complicated simulations, but the truth is, players will never notice the nuance of your intricate system over a completely faked one. Don't get me wrong, having cool weather is great, but having universal per degree, swirling specific weather fronts between areas, etc. The players won't ever notice. Just like I don't notice any connections in weather other than general trends in the 4 seasons, but day to day: one day it's raining, one day it's sunny, and I don't question it. :-)

RoC_Chobeat

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 12, 09:04:19 AM »

I think you guys should go back and read everyone's responses. I suspect there might be fundamental aspects of the engine, and client to server communication that are confounding you. When you come across a term like replication or remote calls, I would look them up on the wiki.

Between Chris's and Scout-SG's responses, I think you have all the keys to the kingdom.

But on a side note: frequently, developers new to the space want to implement powerful and complicated simulations, but the truth is, players will never notice the nuance of your intricate system over a completely faked one. Don't get me wrong, having cool weather is great, but having universal per degree, swirling specific weather fronts between areas, etc. The players won't ever notice. Just like I don't notice any connections in weather other than general trends in the 4 seasons, but day to day: one day it's raining, one day it's sunny, and I don't question it. :-)

I know, i know but the simulation is not really deep. We need a climate system because it will heavily influence gameplay, applying bonus and penalties to spells and equips. There will be skills for weather forecasting and reaching the battle with a wrong equip will heavily penalize players. We are focusing on this waiting for the foundation framework to be complete or otherwise it wouldn't be prioritized.

Anyway i'm the only active developer on the project, it's not really my intention to develop useless and excessively complex stuff, at least for now.

Anyway i've read everything several times and still i can't understand how to do what i need, it's not a matter of replication,  for now it's everything on the server side. I've designed it on the paper but still my problem is: "FullAreaList: FullAreaList can only be called in the world server."

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 12, 10:07:18 AM »

The areas, when they spin up, do the requesting of the system area. You are going to have to manually setup your area list anyways so that your design knows what is adjacent to what and what their values are, so there's really no need to generate a procedural list of areas. That's what people are saying. That you might be thinking about things backwards at the moment.

RoC_Chobeat

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 12, 10:20:37 AM »

The areas, when they spin up, do the requesting of the system area. You are going to have to manually setup your area list anyways so that your design knows what is adjacent to what and what their values are, so there's really no need to generate a procedural list of areas. That's what people are saying. That you might be thinking about things backwards at the moment.
Meh then i will redo the algorithm to adapt to these limits.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 12, 11:31:50 AM »

I don't know what limits you mean. But I think you are on the right track now.

RoC_Chobeat

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 12, 12:13:03 PM »

I don't know what limits you mean. But I think you are on the right track now.
The impossibility to retrieve a list of all areas, active or inactive, outside of the World Server context.
Pages: 1 [2]