HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] hey question for devs (lots of img warning)  (Read 2003 times)

zarcha

• General Accounts
  • Dimension-Corp
    • View Profile
    • Dimension-Corp
[Resolved] hey question for devs (lots of img warning)
« on: Jan 31, 12, 11:57:20 AM »

so ive had a heroclound licence and havnt used it much cause for me ive hard trouble of not know how to use it well but ive gone back to unity3d recently and developed networking code for it and people have loved the project ive started. ive been thinking of using HeroCloud again becuase it is good and one of the players tells me i need to go and use it becuase its better than unity but i cant decided if i should or not so i thought id ask you guys if its worth it. i have no story or plot right now because it was something small i was doing for fun at first so im thinking of things as i go.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 12, 09:30:23 PM by HE-Cooper »

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: hey question for devs (lots of img warning)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 12, 09:07:25 PM »

Are those pictures from your Unity project?  They have an interesting cel-shaded look to them.

Anyways,  you'll find everyone on these forums is a fan of the HeroCloud. Furthermore, many have previously worked with Unity or others and yet are here, so that tells you something.  Myself, I only worked in Unity for a month and was not a fan, mostly of the interface/workflow.  But that is a personal opinion; ymmv.

HeroCloud includes not only a very good engine, but much infrastructure needed for an online game, such as server hosting and (coming soon) built-in payment system, among other things.  So its a complete package and now available for no up-front costs making it a very good option.

Note, however, that you can only make online games with it, so consider what you are trying to make.

P.S. in the future, please don't post large full-res image as a courtesy to others (at least not in large numbers).  Thumbnails possibly linked to a larger image elsewhere, or images cropped to show the just important parts are preferred.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 12, 09:12:03 PM by ScottZarnke »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

runningbird

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Runningbird Studios
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 12, 09:36:46 PM »

Unity is good for what is is made for Smaller games etc.

Granted some really great games have been made with it but in the MMO world unity doesn't stand up to Hero Engine at all.

I've used Unity for 2 years and created my own network framework that was going to be used for my game and actually sold a few licenses to it but when I found Hero Engine I stopped working on it and came here.

I will have to admin that there are some things I can create in Unity much faster than with Hero but Hero comes with the networking, database backend, and much much more.

If I were you and you were serious about making a multi-player game, I would stick with Hero.

There are somethings that might take longer to implement etc but if game development and programming were easy then everyone would have a AAA game title under their belt.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 12, 12:39:52 AM »

If you are out to make a commercial game, Hero is the way to go for MMOs. Comparing it to Unity is like comparing dogs to cats, the are two whole different beast. If you are out to do it as a hobby and new to game development, Hero may not be the best solution. Good luck.