HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: "Hero Lab" games integration.  (Read 3388 times)

morfiction

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • My blog.
"Hero Lab" games integration.
« on: Feb 14, 12, 07:23:25 AM »

Hero Lab.

I find this whole character building concept very awesome. At this point, the characters you make are easily integrated with the D20 Pro virtual tabletop program.

I'm wondering if it is possible to integrate "Open Game License" version of the 3.5 ED rule set into a Hero Engine game. I'm sure it won't be simple like "push export to Hero Engine" or anything like that.

At this point, though, I'm very appreciative of the effort people put into making their offline table top characters. I only have limited experience with D&D 4th ED, but I love the whole idea. (I've yet to get into an actual game session instead of preliminary character building sessions.)

So what do you say, would a player character in Hero Engine be able to use all these awesome stats & figures for that level of complexity?

quakkeldackel

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: "Hero Lab" games integration.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 12, 07:30:39 AM »

In short: yes, if you manage it.
In longer:
You can easily just put all these stats into your HE char class. And the rest are just formulas you can mimic and implement with a similar result.
Things you need to consider are mainly bandwith and time ..and ..chained with this security.
Traditional mmos do most of the computing on the server, which makes cheating harder, as the results of a computations are guranteed to not be corrupted. But doing a lot of calculating for eahc player on the server will clutter the server very fast. On the other hand you have a limited bandwith and passing a lot of values and stat changes will fill the bandwith up really quick.
One approach would be to bring all the calculations to the client, which has enough power, as it is just doing this stuff for 1 player. Then you need mechanics to evaluate the results and make sure players do not inject values to get better.

morfiction

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • My blog.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 12, 07:36:14 AM »

Oh poo!

What are some stats that I can have? I have trouble reading those wiki listing when it talks about programming.

quakkeldackel

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 12, 07:52:17 AM »

You can every stat you want.
Breaking it down every stat is just a number linked to a word.
i.e. you can define an integer in your player class and refer to it as "strength". Then when you calculate damage you will do something like: "weapon damage+strength" and tadaa you used that stat.
But it will still be your work to implement all this values and tie them together in formulas.
The hero lab can be used as a 3rd party character creator, but you need to mirror everything in your game and you also need to "import" the character. This is something no programm can take away from you. This makes HE so great, and on the same time complex to get used to.

morfiction

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • My blog.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 12, 08:06:55 AM »

You can every stat you want.

Good, but you said that having the server implement all that information would lag.

The hero lab can be used as a 3rd party character creator, but you need to mirror everything in your game and you also need to "import" the character. This is something no programm can take away from you. This makes HE so great, and on the same time complex to get used to.

"No program can take away"?

I don't get this. You're saying it is or isn't possible?

Granted I need to understand how to do computations.... which I don't.

I don't have a team assembled for my Hero Engine project and the team I am in one person wants to use unity3D while the others when they do pop in have expressed their doubts of the feasibility of much of the game concepts.

quakkeldackel

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 12, 08:16:57 AM »

Good, but you said that having the server implement all that information would lag.
This is the point where clever implementations come in. You can keep data at client side, or pack data into single values. I.e. you can calculate health and stamina on client side from strength and vitality. The server need to send just strength and vitality and the client calculate health and stamina, you got 4 stats on the client side by sending just 2.

"No program can take away"?

I don't get this. You're saying it is or isn't possible?

It is possible to use this as a third party tool. To generate a character file (which will be a kind of xml file i think) and then parse this xml file with code (here you need to understand computation). When you read out this xml file you can have all the values from the file in you character class and therefore import fom Hero Lab. You CANNOT use this tool to get around coding your own character stat system. You will in every case need to get your hand dirty with thinking about stats and formulas (which is a lot of fun) and then lay your system down in HSL (which is fun too, if you like programming).

morfiction

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • My blog.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 12, 08:32:28 AM »

So for one step, I need to find out if the Hero Lab can output to XML? I'll inquire about that one.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 12, 11:29:05 AM »

It really comes down to how much integrity you want with the data.  You could technically have it do everything client side and have a save button to send the information to the server when needed.  The risk is if it crashes it is all gone, but it just depends on how much you want to save up to the server and how accurate you need the calculations to be.   I would look at the license though and see if it allows monetization as if it doesn't you probably aren't going to be able to do much with it and IF is going to have a server up and running on their dime.
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

morfiction

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • My blog.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 12, 05:37:57 PM by morfiction »

Atticus

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • 610 Labs
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 12, 06:09:52 PM »

Last I checked The Open Game license has restrictions which would prevent you from using them directly in an mmo. I have not checked it in a while but it would be best to check the licensing agreement yourself to insure you dont waste a lot of time only to find it is not legal to use in your game.
Atticus

morfiction

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • My blog.