HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Resolved] 3D applications supported?  (Read 6693 times)

sirsensi

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] 3D applications supported?
« on: Mar 09, 12, 11:07:34 AM »

Hello,

This is my first time posting, and not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this, but I am a bit uncertian.
I did read that the art pipeline requires 3ds max or maya. Being a completely independent dev myself i was wondering if i could use GMAX instead and still be able to create art for 'my' game? Like a plugin for gmax that is compatible with the engine, perhaps?

Any help with this would be greatly apprecitated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 12:15:40 PM by HE-Cooper »

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: 3D applications supported?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 12, 11:17:16 AM »

Max or Maya is needed to be able to export to Hero.  You can do modeling in other programs, but you'll still have to import those to Max/Maya, and then export to compatible Hero format.

sirsensi

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 12, 01:53:01 PM »

Thank you for the quick response.

I was only wondering that because a few grand for a 3d program is not in the cards for me atm.
any idea where i can get a copy of the program, i know that there is a maya & max ple's, but im not a student or instructor :(.

DarkOm3n

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Drive
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 12, 04:57:16 PM »

There's nowhere legal anyone could point you to unfortunately. It would be nice to see other options for art assets, but unfortunately if i'm not mistaken would take quite the re-write. It's not worth much but best i can say is at least it's not the old gr2 extensions :/
If all else fails rm -rf /*

Vedrit

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 12, 06:50:17 PM »

In sure if you asked enough people who know the appropriate languages, I'm sure you could get a plug-in made for your program.
As for getting a copy of Maya or Max, I would suggest asking a local college or university (preferably one you attend or are a registered at) to be marked as a student in that institutions roster in Autodesks Student program, which provides free, full versions of their programs and software.

sirsensi

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 12, 08:38:39 PM »

Thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated :)

SpeedBoat

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 12, 02:41:21 PM »

There is no need for any paperwork, or even email to prove that you will be using the software for educational purposes (which you will, until your game is ready).

You just have to register here: http://students.autodesk.com/
and you can download almost anything they have for free :). no paperwork and no questions.

Free products are subject to the terms and conditions of the end-user license and services agreement that accompanies the software. The software is for personal use for education purposes and is not intended for classroom or lab use.

Good luck.

sirsensi

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 12, 02:57:52 PM »

There is no need for any paperwork, or even email to prove that you will be using the software for educational purposes (which you will, until your game is ready).

and you can download almost anything they have for free :). no paperwork and no questions.

Free products are subject to the terms and conditions of the end-user license and services agreement that accompanies the software. The software is for personal use for education purposes and is not intended for classroom or lab use.

Good luck.

Fantastic! Thank you.

Vedrit

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 12, 12:17:36 AM »

Exactly what I was meaning, although I was under the impression you had to be marked as a student at a school

Ruarch

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 12, 11:15:39 AM »

Nope it's all free. no water mark or anything. just a gripe screen when you save work.

sirsensi

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 12, 11:17:01 AM »

Very cool! So I am registered, and I know this is personal preference, but which one works better with the engine, Maya or Max?

I have a lot of experience with Maya (started using it when it was Alias|Wavefront).

I mean which one has a smoother transition from 3d space to the game world?

I am downloading Maya 2012.

Thank you all for the input so far, it has been very informative, and greatly appreciated!

demonseedgfx

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 12, 11:23:49 AM »

I'm a MAX user always have been. I've tried MAYa and just didnt like it. If you use MAYA stick with it. Getting from your choice of software to hero is easier to learn than a new piece of art software. Also the pipeline is only going to get easier as the hero team progress the engine.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 12, 11:56:40 AM »

I would say this, as my only opinion. Max is designed to make games, but like to make everything in games. Traps and triggers and gameplay spaces, and crazyness. It used to be the only show in town for 3d assets and level building in the gaming industry. Maya started out, despite what some will say, to make graphically beautiful things, and cinematics, etc. I think Maya is a cleaner over all tool to make 3d assets, but if you know Max it is a fast and powerful tool, less polish, more control at lower levels. But at the end of the day, XYZ is wrong in Max. I don't care what anyone says, it's wrong. :-) and that's annoying.

sirsensi

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 12, 02:32:59 PM »

That is what I was expecting, I am going for more balance between polish and performance. I do recall 3ds being the end-all-be all back when I was fisrt introduced to 3d applications (first for me was Lightwave 3D, then we switched to Maya).

I would say this, as my only opinion. Max is designed to make games, but like to make everything in games. Traps and triggers and gameplay spaces, and crazyness. It used to be the only show in town for 3d assets and level building in the gaming industry. Maya started out, despite what some will say, to make graphically beautiful things, and cinematics, etc. I think Maya is a cleaner over all tool to make 3d assets, but if you know Max it is a fast and powerful tool, less polish, more control at lower levels. But at the end of the day, XYZ is wrong in Max. I don't care what anyone says, it's wrong. :-) and that's annoying.

Thank you for your input, I do know what you are saying about the XYZ being wrong from Max to Engine (I've used the old Torque Engine, too frustrating tbh).
I have had some experience with just about every art tool available (I wanted to try everything). I first started out, as I mentioned above, with Lightwave 3D, then progressed myself to Maya, also I have tried Max, SoftImage XSI, Milkshape 3d, Corel's Bryce (sp?), and GMax.

I do find the navigation easier in Maya. Thank you again for the feedback and input. Always greatly appreciated!

LNSBen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • LastNight Studio LLC
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 12, 08:29:59 PM »

Nope it's all free. no water mark or anything. just a gripe screen when you save work.

Just want to make sure it's perfectly clear, you cannot launch a game with the student version.  There is a "mark" in the file, I think you can view it in the details tab under the file properties.  Whatever assets you upload with the student edition would have to be re-uploaded after you buy the software and re-save/export your work.  It's a good deal for learning and evaluating what software works good for you, but to publish you will have to pay for it.  I know it's been said many times before, I'm just repeating it because Autodesk is known to go after just about anyone who gets on their radar.
Ben W.
Member Owner / Producer
LastNight Studio LLC
Pages: [1] 2