HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Dynamic character problem  (Read 2337 times)

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Dynamic character problem
« on: Mar 25, 12, 12:40:59 PM »

Hi,
I am trying to plug in my custom dynamic character. I got everything modeled, skinned and hopefully even exported using the wiki tutorials. I wrote all the necessary text files too. When I now use the /henpc create command in the Blade, I can see there is a nameplate walking around but no visible geometry. I got following errors in console:

Code: [Select]
19:18:31: !ERROR!System:MeshPart:Invalid mesh file [\character\dynamic_2\generic_human\parts\box_head.hgm], must have exactly 1 models defined (0) for [DynamicModel[\Character\Dynamic_2\Generic_Human\Generic_Human.dyc]].
19:18:32: !ERROR!System:MeshPart:Invalid mesh file [\character\dynamic_2\generic_human\parts\box_torso.hgm], must have exactly 1 mesh defined for [DynamicModel[\Character\Dynamic_2\Generic_Human\Generic_Human.dyc]].
19:18:32: !ERROR!System:MeshPart:Invalid mesh file [\character\dynamic_2\generic_human\parts\box_hands.hgm], must have exactly 1 models defined (0) for [DynamicModel[\Character\Dynamic_2\Generic_Human\Generic_Human.dyc]].
19:18:32: !ERROR!System:MeshPart:Invalid mesh file [\character\dynamic_2\generic_human\parts\box_legs.hgm], must have exactly 1 models defined (0) for [DynamicModel[\Character\Dynamic_2\Generic_Human\Generic_Human.dyc]].
19:18:32: !ERROR!System:MeshPart:Invalid mesh file [\character\dynamic_2\generic_human\parts\box_feet.hgm], must have exactly 1 models defined (0) for [DynamicModel[\Character\Dynamic_2\Generic_Human\Generic_Human.dyc]].

It seems is fails to load all of my five prototype meshes for different character parts. My .dyc file looks like this:

Version=1
[SETTINGS]
  Skeleton=Generic_Human_skeleton.hgm
  PartsSpec=Generic_Human.par

Pretty straightforward, it seems... My .par file follows:

! bang to comment line
! Parts definition file
!
[Root]
\Character\Dynamic_2\Generic_Human\parts\

[Slots]
!SlotName
!  % hides(SlotName)
!  % shows(SlotName)
!  % substitutes(SlotName:PartName,PartName)
!  % onif(SlotName)
!  % LODSubstitutes(distance #,LowDetail)

Head
Torso
Hands
Legs
Feet

[Divisions]
!DivisionName: SlotName,SlotName

Default Division: Head,Torso,Hands,Legs,Feet

[Parts]
!
! Slot: Part, mesh file
!

Head: Box_Head,Box_Head.hgm
Torso: Box_Torso,Box_Torso.hgm
Hands: Box_Hands,Box_Hands.hgm
Legs: Box_Legs,Box_Legs.hgm
Feet: Box_Feet,Box_Feet.hgm

I created just the very basic file to test things out. It seems the system reads the definition correctly but fails to load the five parts for some reason.

I checked the .hgm files in Hero Viewer and they look correctly. If I open them all along with the skeleton file and some animation I exported, the viewer shows animating character, so almost everything should be ok... Anyone could point me in the right direction? Where should I start looking for errors in my pipeline?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 12:17:17 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamic character problem
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 12, 07:35:07 AM »

Hmm... that's rather intriguing.  Great error report by the way :D the only thing you missed was what version of Max or Maya you are using and what version of the HeroEngineArtPipeline.

There are a couple fiddly syntax things for dynamic characters (like a space after the name of a slot but before the ': partname,partfile.hgm' is parsed as part of the name) so I'd suggest very carefully comparing your setup to the sample dynamic character files if you haven't already.  Also, older versions of the art pipeline did not always get the path quite right, I'd check that all the files have exactly the right paths in them.

What does your characters ".dat" file look like?

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 12, 12:13:22 PM »

I am using 3ds max 2010 x64 and the pipeline version used was the previous one available, I replaced it with the last one, renaming the folder in the process. Anyway I tried to reexport some of the parts with new pipeline version and the error is still the same. I also tried to replace the paths in .par file with absolute full paths as you suggested and it did not changed anything :|

My .dat file follows:

Version=2
[PARTS]
  Model=Generic_Human.dyc
  AnimationSetFolder=\Character\Dynamic_2\Generic_Human\animation\
  Agent=\Character\Dynamic_2\Generic_Human\animation\Generic_Human.aas
  Behavior=PlayerCharacter2
  Gender=Male
  TextureLODSpeed=.2

I used the max character tools to create the initial folder structure so this should not be the problem...

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 12, 12:25:31 PM »

Thanks for the additional info Legacy; As I mentioned, prior versions had a bug in the character tools ui that would occasionally write the path incorrectly (even if you did everything right), but you are quite right the .dat file looks just fine.

Actually I have a thought: The phrasing in the error is very specific and not one I've run into before.  Looking at it just now, I realized it isn't saying that there are no meshes defined, it says there isn't exactly one defined.  Did you perhaps export the parts with their LoD meshes into one hgm file?  I believe Dynamic character parts require the LOD meshes exported separately and then specified in the parts file and doing otherwise could potentially cause that error.

If that isn't the issue, why don't you go ahead and email support@heroengine.com and send a .zip file with your character folder and your Max Scene so I can take a look at them.

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 12, 12:33:43 PM »

I did not export any LODs, I am just trying to create everything as simple as possible first and expand on that...

I sent you the mail, thanks for help!

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 12, 08:46:30 AM »

Summarizing the offline conversation: Looks like there were Mesh placements and custom skinning plugins preventing the export from working correctly.

Side note, it's always a good idea to check your exports in the Heroviewer before importing them into game. If they are broken in the HeroViewer then they will be broken in game.

XCalPro

• General Accounts
  • 3D Artist & HSL Coder
    • View Profile
    • Excalibur Productions
Re: <SOLVED> Dynamic character problem
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 12, 11:17:08 AM »

Where does one find this "HeroViewer"?
Tony Oliveira aka XCalPro
HeroEngine Projects: Traveller 6 Online - www.traveller6.com/forum/
Portfolio: www.xcalpro.com/art

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 12, 11:18:23 AM »

In the art pipeline download.

XCalPro

• General Accounts
  • 3D Artist & HSL Coder
    • View Profile
    • Excalibur Productions
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 12, 11:20:53 AM »

How about that.... Never noticed.. Thanks, that will make things easier.
Tony Oliveira aka XCalPro
HeroEngine Projects: Traveller 6 Online - www.traveller6.com/forum/
Portfolio: www.xcalpro.com/art