HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Crafting Community Groups  (Read 3816 times)

ProjectDiomedes

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Crafting Community Groups
« on: Mar 30, 12, 10:01:12 PM »

Hello,

Does anyone know of an active message board, or active community blog for crafters?  I'm preferably looking for an active board that has crafter class based discussions spanning multiple MMO's. 

The reason I'm seeking this is that I've currently got the back end of a crafting system designed, but I'm trying to decide how to proceed with the user interface.  I've always appreciated the crafting professions in MMO's, especially SWG, but I've never enjoyed playing crafter classes.  But I do realize the importance of crafting in an MMO and the games economy.  since the game design being worked on is being designed from the ground up from a players perspective I wish to talk to a crafting community about how they prefer to interact in the process.  Whether it be more point in click, aka SWG, highly interactive like EQII or somewhere in between the two, like Vanguards system (yes I know they're all sony games but honestly those are the only 3 games I've tried crafting in so it's all I can use as examples), or if they prefer something different. 

I've found several boards through google, but they've all been pretty much inactive so far.

Anyways, if anyone knows of such a board please advise, thank you.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
Re: Crafting Community Groups
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 12, 06:21:22 AM »

You could always just start a discussion here about crafting? (I assume you mean crafting new items, or improving items with crafting?)

I never heard any community being very specific about crafting (let alone a complete forum for crafting!).

Have a look at crafting items and unique items in Knight Online(tm)! Perhaps it can give you new insights for you own game too!

ProjectDiomedes

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 12, 07:23:05 AM »

Thanks, I used to know a number of MMORPG crafting sites, but the ones I knew of are gone now. 
I've got a rather extensive Crafting system already plotted out, only things remaining to do on it is decide how to implement the User interface, and set up the database.  The latter will have to wait, last time I coded anything we were still primarily using random access and sequential text files (which were fine back when we were only dealing with 64K of memory, yes it was that long ago). 

Of course there still item design, and a lot of data entry to do once the database is configured for it.

Main thing is I don't know what people who enjoy playing crafting classes like in the process.  I've done crafting in most of the MMO's I've played, and personally I loved the EQII crafting interface, but then I don't really play crafters.  I play melee types, it's my thing ;).

My main goal is to create a system that's rich in detail and depth, which I believe I've got now, I'm just lacking on what level of interactivity with the process most crafting people prefer.  Whether they prefer a more active process or a more passive process.  I'll probably give a couple of the more crafting centric games a run though to see if they use passive or active systems.  Not to copy them mind you, just to get a gist of what crafting focused players prefer in play style. 

But if anyone here enjoys playing crafting classes please chime in :)

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 12, 01:15:21 PM »

The ONLY game that I actually enjoyed crafting (as opposed to doing it because I needed it for something) was Horizons.  Hell, wasn't much else that good about the game but the crafting was so good I often did only that.  It is still around but it is called Istaria now.  Think it free to play a human.

If you want ideas on how to do a good interface between player and crafting, I'd suggest playing that a bit.  In any other game, crafting was/is at best something not too annoying that I sometimes had to do.

ProjectDiomedes

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 12, 05:52:48 PM »

I had forgotten about Horizons.  I had followed it's development because I was interested to see how they were going to implement a number of features.    But the game got panned so hard by some people who I knew and trusted that I never gave it a play. 

I'll go check it out.  Thanks for that!

I personally intend to have crafter's as a totally individual class, rather than as a secondary skill set for combat characters.

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 12, 11:19:23 PM »

Yeah, that was/is a lot wrong with the game, but crafting was one thing they got very right.

Of course, I haven't engaged in crafting in many games, so I might be missing even better implementations but of the MMOs I've played it was the only crafting system I actually enjoyed and I liked the "group" crafting that was done in defense of cities, etc., building walls etc.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 12, 11:24:38 PM by DragonFist »

ProjectDiomedes

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 12, 02:06:16 AM »

yeah, there are a lot of different crafting options.  Unlike the combat aspect of MMO's I never really had any close contacts that were favored crafting over the combat option.  But one thing I learned in EQII and more specifically in SWG, as well as having observed from comments about EVE, there are people who thrive playing only crafters. 

You've provided some great feedback, thanks!

XCalPro

• General Accounts
  • 3D Artist & HSL Coder
    • View Profile
    • Excalibur Productions
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 12, 10:57:39 AM »

Crafting is central to our game. All players will have some crafting abilities, but it will be primarily for players who wish to follow an artisan path. We plan to model or system similar to SWG. Personally, I have not seen a better system than SWG. I had high hopes for Vanguard, but when I played it in its early days, it was too problematic and sword and fantasy games are not my thing.

Just as important to a crafting system is also the resource gathering. The gathering has to be just as entertaining if not more so since most of the gameplay comes from the resource gathering side. Gathering should be interactive, challenging and fun, not just clicking on a rock and watching an animation. Players need to feel like they are in control.
Tony Oliveira aka XCalPro
HeroEngine Projects: Traveller 6 Online - www.traveller6.com/forum/
Portfolio: www.xcalpro.com/art

ProjectDiomedes

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 12, 04:02:45 PM »

Crafting is central to our game. All players will have some crafting abilities, but it will be primarily for players who wish to follow an artisan path. We plan to model or system similar to SWG. Personally, I have not seen a better system than SWG. I had high hopes for Vanguard, but when I played it in its early days, it was too problematic and sword and fantasy games are not my thing.

Just as important to a crafting system is also the resource gathering. The gathering has to be just as entertaining if not more so since most of the gameplay comes from the resource gathering side. Gathering should be interactive, challenging and fun, not just clicking on a rock and watching an animation. Players need to feel like they are in control.

Excellent feedback thank you,

I agree SWG had the best crafting community of any MMO that I've played, though I haven't played EVE and I've heard great things about it's system. 
Vanguard had an interesting system, it moved a bit too slowly in my opinion, but then again 'm not a crafter type.   VG did get most of it's problems ironed out, but by the time they did it was too late.  It's actually a great game now, just noone plays it, and not due to a lack of initial interest, I think it spiked to 600,000 users  or so on release, but the launch was so horrible that people quit and just never went back to it.  Kind of illustrates the importance of a smooth launch.

sorry got side tracked, the system currently under design on our side has a number similarities to SWG, but also takes some concepts that have been seen elsewhere, as well as fitting in a couple things that we've never seen, at least to this degree, in other games.  The back end mechanics of the system is all designed, it's just how to have the user interface with the back end design that's lacking at this point.

You make an excellent point on resources, that's a step currently under development.  If I had my choice I'd just use SWG's method of locating resources, but I don't want to get sued so won't do that lol.  But, SWG's method of searching for resources did remind me a lot of a PC or Commodore game I used to play way back in the day.  I want to say Starflight II but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, but I remember playing a game where you had percentages of resources and you scouted for the highest concentrations. 

Anyways, Vanguard had a rock node harvest system that at least was a little interactive, in that the more players you had with you to harvest the more of the material you got.  But it also suffered a flaw in that you could tell if it was a rare resource spawn or not just by looking at it, though I understand they've changed that now which makes farming rares much harder, as it should be. 

One thing I didn't like about SWG's resource system though was the harvesters interference on other aspects of game play, they would kill creature spawns and immersion for other players.  You'd often walk in to fields of 100's of harvesters and I found that distasteful to game play. 

You points on resource gathering has given me plenty to think about that I had been glossing over due to focus on the crafting interface and combat engine design. 
Thank you so much.