HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Talent Swapping  (Read 2615 times)

Joel_Azzopardi

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Talent Swapping
« on: Jul 02, 12, 06:30:25 AM »

Hey, before i make a post in the recruitment section of this forum i thought i'd bring this up here first to see what you guys think.

I've been tinkering with the idea in my head for some time now about Talent Swapping for those looking to recruit talent for their projects.

Basically its the prospect of trading your skills in one section of development i.e game art, for that of another section i.e programming.

because lets face it, we all are looking for some help whether it be 3D art, 2D, Programming, QA ect. but very few of us has the currency to back us up, this way you don't feel you are getting nothing for you work and you can actually make use of your specific skills sets to help your project along leaps and bound particularly if your at the stage of "i want to make an mmo and its got elves and shit"

thoughts?
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 12, 08:33:49 AM by HE-Cooper »

TGSRofar

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Talent Swapping
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 12, 06:08:36 PM »

We have entertained this thought ourselves.  Personally, I think it could work out in some situations at a limited level. However, some folks (like myself) struggle to find enough time to work on their own team's project.  So I think that is a huge issue for Talent Swapping to be very effective.
Ron Farrell
Lead Programmer
Triad Game Studios

Joel_Azzopardi

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 12, 01:37:14 AM »

I had thought of some constraints with the idea and yours being one of them, time is an invaluable resource.
Hopefully small teams can make use of this, I recently thought about learning a bit of programming so i could start to learn heroscript but then this idea hit me, i can continue to hone my own skills while making progress towards my projects goals.

Another problem i can for-sea is how to you accurately and fairly swap talents, because the time it takes someone make a certain asset or perform a certain task is not universal, might take someone 1 hour to make a set of rock assets but might take a programmer a week to make a spec oracle.

I guess time is the only thing that's not a variant maybe you just swap talents on a 1:1 time basis, put an hour in get an hour out.

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 12, 10:51:03 AM »

I am open to this idea. I'm an artist with limited programming capability (enough to make a mess of things, not enough to get back out of it). For me, I'd even trade artwork to people willing to take time out of their schedules to provide HeroCloud support for me when needed (i.e. the basics of how to get a small area up and running so I can show art asset work off to those that would log in, how to create a beta user account for someone, and other questions as they pop up. etc.)
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 12, 07:29:03 AM by ronalmb »

antharios

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 12, 05:14:14 PM »

deleted
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 12, 11:51:01 AM by antharios »

Joel_Azzopardi

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 12, 02:50:37 AM »

thanks for inputting guys, but maybe if you haven't already make a post in the recruitment thread specifying what you'd like to trade your skills for?

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 12, 07:28:46 AM »

My apologies. I thought that folks interested in swapping coding for some artwork would want to see if what they were getting from me was worthwhile before they invested time in assisting me.  I meant no offense.  As mentioned, I was looking for assistance with basic hero engine functions at this time and maybe coding help later. I shall remove the images - they're taking up a lot of space anyways. It wasn't my intention to take over your thread.

Have a wonderful weekend!

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 12, 07:43:27 AM »

Talent swapping could be usefull in some situations, as there are still teams that don't have every position filled that is needed, whereas other teams have.

To break this discussion a bit up, I have added a recruitment post already in the "Recruitment" section, offering music to all other teams against quite a low payment (no income share, sorry!) or "Talent swapping" :)

Joel_Azzopardi

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 12, 05:10:22 AM »

@ronalmb haha i wasn't having a go at you silly, i was merely stating that you'd get a better response in the recruitment section :)

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 12, 09:53:42 AM »

No worries and I took no offense! I'll definitely follow your suggestion when i'm ready - I've made a lot of contacts just from the short period I had them up - so it was very useful to me.  I'll post in the recruiting section when I'm better prepared to handle the PMs i get!

So I'm guessing this topic is to just discuss the prospects of talent swapping. The actual talent swapping process will be done on the recruitment section. Got cha! Have a wonderful Tuesday.

Joel_Azzopardi

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 12, 03:10:52 PM »

ronalmb if you go ahead with talent swapping with someone that's made contact with you, i'd love to know how it goes, the pros and cons so forth. cheers ;)

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 12, 03:12:57 PM »

Will do! Right now I am in the process of trading an art asset for the ability to import a static character with animations from maya. I've simply gotten to old to climb the steep learning curve! lol. I'm sure its going to work out grate.