HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Ideas on how to approach a slot-less inventory system?  (Read 4207 times)

TheRabid

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

I already have my SpecOracles/Specs/Decorators all set up. I am about to start figuring out the rest of my inventory system, and was curious if any one had any ideas about how I might go about creating a slot-less inventory system.

My short term goal is to be able to place an item's icon anywhere in the inventory panel, and have that position be stored and saved.

I would just like to open up a dialogue about this, and see how some developers might approach it, and if any one has any tips.
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 12, 08:23:33 PM by HE-Cooper »

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas on how to approach a slot-less inventory system?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 12, 04:31:53 AM »

I suppose you are talking about something similar to Darkfall (http://i31.tinypic.com/1zx1slc.jpg). Actually the difference between slot-based and slot-less inventory is not so big. Internally, you still have to keep an ordered list of all items inside (order determines Z-order of items I guess) along with some additional data class (top left corner XY and such). Having access to this XYZ location and XY size of needed GUI image panel (stored in spec, probably) you are able to reproduce the exact looks of your inventory panel every time player opens it.

The only tricky part that I guess will need some research is the detection of player's click on icon's visible pixel. With access to icon texture's raw data this is piece of cake but I am not sure what tools does HE provide in this regard.

Hope you'll solve this, looking forward to see some progress :)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 12, 07:04:44 AM »

If you mean even grid less, like old school ultima online, then I suspect the simple version would work like:
On click GetThingUnderMouse move it to the top layer
AttachThingToMouse
On next click Get xy of _panel (thing) within inventory bag
Set x y position of the panel

Obviously those aren't the actual calls, but you get the gist. And will be more complicated depending on what else yer up to. Have you checked out social red and HJ refs systems?

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 12, 07:25:18 AM »

How would you like the final result to be?

Darkfall style? http://www.darkfallonline.com/gallery/albums/visuals/javaw_2006_12_15_16_56_03_36.sized.jpg

Skyrim style? http://software.informer.com/articles_uploads/d13ec8f5423e5a692f3e2651c3a07b6b.thumbnail.jpg

Diablo style? http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vEIplEvl3hM/T02Stqx2cSI/AAAAAAAAAn4/XKYv_lb9qn8/s1600/Clipboard25.jpg

I personally incline towards diablo style. Because I don't like when a potion takes as much space as a 2h sword or chest armor, but I still like having a grid ;)

XCalPro

• General Accounts
  • 3D Artist & HSL Coder
    • View Profile
    • Excalibur Productions
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 12, 08:21:08 AM »

I have always like the Diablo inventory style myself. It takes item size into account as well as weight encumbrance. It still uses a grid/slot system which I would think is necessary in order to keep things neatly organized. If you do not use some type of grid, you will end up having overlapping items unless you script some sorting method to organize your icons. If your intention it is to create an inventory system that mimics a real bag, then having things unsorted and overlapping is the way to go as it forces the player to rummage through their bag of junk to get to something they need.
Tony Oliveira aka XCalPro
HeroEngine Projects: Traveller 6 Online - www.traveller6.com/forum/
Portfolio: www.xcalpro.com/art

TheRabid

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 12, 02:47:38 PM »

By slot-less I was referring more akin to Ultima Online's inventory system. I believe Darkfall has a similar system, but I am not familiar enough with the game to know this for a fact.

The whole grid or slot system is off putting to me, I like the versatility of being able to arrange your inventory in any manner that you please, and any organization that you need to perform in your inventory can be achieved with a bag system of some sort.

JMurdick

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 12, 07:28:00 AM »

Could always go with a system that is simply a list of item names with a small icon to the left.  And then let the player sort by various properties (name, type, value, etc).  No slots required there, no worrying about organization and saving it out.

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 12, 10:46:53 AM »

Could always go with a system that is simply a list of item names with a small icon to the left.  And then let the player sort by various properties (name, type, value, etc).  No slots required there, no worrying about organization and saving it out.

This is the system used in Oblivion and Skyrim alike. It suits the console controllers, but has been a target of big hate from players, so choose wisely :)