HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: CloudHero game engine questions (and I already pestered Cooper so... )  (Read 2073 times)

PamelaTerraX

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

Hello all - I'm here with some general questions about the cloud version of the Hero engine.  We've been checking out game engines ranging from open source to ohmygawditcostshowmuchtolicense?

I'll start by saying I'm not a game engineer. I'm the project lead on this game build as well as one of the original game designers, the surprisingly effective lead funding generator, and The Person Who Spent 2 Frikken Years Defining The Internal Physics Of The Game Via Math & Data. 

Right now our gaze is on CloudHero just because it's affordable in the short and long run.  Servers are costly - buying or leasing them, running them - add in the subscription process and 30% net starts to fit into the budget.

However - we've got concerns.  What happens if there are issues with the Hero servers, the service provided to our players via the servers, the billing process?  We've put in 2.5 years into this already and are looking at at least another 3 years - how secure is our data on servers that we don't control?   

What are the unforeseen limits to a game built in CloudHero that we're not aware of but you are quite clear on?  How much flexibility will we have with our game design and how much of a hassle will it be to work in heroscript?

So here I am, asking for your opinions. What are your thoughts about this engine? 

Thanks all-

Pamela

Pamela Zero
TerraXmmo.com

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation

Well, I know they aren't running it out of Cooper's basement so that is a good start (they use Amazon's cloud service).  As far as flexibility I guess that depends on what you are trying to do and how out of the box it is.  We have found it to be very powerful and really hasn't gotten in the way of what we are trying to do, but you could have that one key feature that is wrapped around your whole game mechanics and if it requires making alterations to how the server or client functions at some high level you might run into issues.   Due to the nature of the client/server being designed for multiple concurrent alterations while all online it does provide some extended flexibility that is nice.

I do know they use notable 3rd party services for billing as well, but they mostly don't get to far into that unless you are laying down some cash or getting around the Beta stages of release.  I guess they will reply with a more official answer, but they have quite a few fail-safes in their licensing agreement that protects you if they happen to go under and at least with a stake in the game like they do they really don't want to interfere with you making money to some degree.
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

PamelaTerraX

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

Thanks for the info. 

It's a double edged sword.  Leap and trust or pick another engine with as many bells and whistles but have the budget skew towards the red...

Off I go to do more research.  And here I thought building the specs was an endless process...

Ascend2Crux

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Ascend 2 Crux

I think that if you look at all the possible choices for now Hero is by far the best choice in MMO development and Unity is a long distance second and I mean distance because you have to handle the back end yourself.

Hero does have a steep learning curve but it is quickly getting shorter as educational material is being released. And as I see it Hero's future success will depend on it's educational material because if you can't bring your vision to the market Hero Engine can't make money and this truly fantastic opportunity will fail.

That is why I am sure they will succeed.

MJ Trottier
Ascend 2 Crux where everything is player made.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

There is very popular mmo coming out in a few months named "Tera", I see your project is named TerraX. If you are planning to hit the mainstream you may want to consider your name.

PamelaTerraX

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

Thanks for the info all - I appreciate your time. 

Stadi - TerraX is the working title for the game.  Our build schedule is currently calendered at 3-4 years and hopefully by the release we'll have settled on a name.

I take it back - finding a game engine isn't the hardest part of building an MMO - agreeing on a name is...