HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] TrackMasks max script error  (Read 4030 times)

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] TrackMasks max script error
« on: Apr 07, 12, 10:22:15 AM »

Hello,
I am trying to edit track masks for my character as I need an upper body channel for animations. When I try to run the window from Hero Character Tools rollout I get some error that says "... requires mscustattribdef got: undefined".

Full console output follows:

Code: [Select]
-- Error occurred in Bone loop; filename: D:\Dev\LegacyOnline\HeroEngineArtPipeline\MaxScripts\Max2010.0\GrannyTrackMaskUI.ms; position: 5693; line: 195
--  Frame:
--   Bone: $Bip01
--   myAtts: undefined
--   called in GrannyApplyTrackMasks(); filename: D:\Dev\LegacyOnline\HeroEngineArtPipeline\MaxScripts\Max2010.0\GrannyTrackMaskUI.ms; position: 5711; line: 197
--  Frame:
--   allBones: #($Bip01, $Bip01 Footsteps, $Bip01 Pelvis, $Bip01 Spine, $Bip01 Spine1, $Bip01 Spine2, $Bip01 back_center_Wmount, $Bip01 back_center_WmountNub, $Bip01 back_left_Wmount, $Bip01 back_left_WmountNub, $Bip01 back_right_Wmount, $Bip01 back_right_WmountNub, $Bip01 back_shield_mount, $Bip01 back_shield_mountNub, $Bip01 Neck, $Bip01 Head, $Bip01 HeadNub, $Bip01 L Clavicle, $Bip01 L UpperArm, $Bip01 L Forearm, ...)
--   called in GrannyTrackMaskUI(); filename: D:\Dev\LegacyOnline\HeroEngineArtPipeline\MaxScripts\Max2010.0\GrannyTrackMaskUI.ms; position: 12170; line: 390
--  Frame:
--   called in btnTraMask.pressed(); filename: D:\Dev\LegacyOnline\HeroEngineArtPipeline\MaxScripts\Max2010.0\Character_Tools.ms; position: 21135; line: 608
--  Frame:
>> MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception: -- Type error: custAttributes.add requires MSCustAttribDef, got: undefined <<

Any idea what to do about that?
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 12:24:34 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: TrackMasks max script error
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 12, 09:02:54 AM »

From the error trace it looks like you are using Max 2010, but is is 32-bit or 64-bit?

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 12, 12:05:41 PM »

I am unable to reproduce this error, are you still having the issue?

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 12, 01:18:42 PM »

Sorry was away this week, but yes, I've got this error ever since I installed the max plugins... I am using 3ds max 2010 x64

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 12, 07:33:41 AM »

If you open a brand new empty scene and then open the track masks editor do you still get the error?

If so, this sounds like either an issue with your Max install or potentially your art pipeline install.  Are you running the latest version of the art pipeline? (2012.3)
Try upgrading to the latest version if you aren't already using it and see if the problem persists.

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 12, 01:45:16 PM »

Interesting, if I open it in an empty scene I get no error. Only tool I found that is giving me an error is the AssetTools one:

Code: [Select]
--  Frame:
--   HE_AssetToolsUI: undefined
>> MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception: -- Type error: Call needs function or class, got: undefined <<

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 12, 07:55:24 AM »

Again, I am unable to reproduce this error, are you using the most recent version of the art pipeline?

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 12, 12:41:57 PM »

Yes, I am using the latest version. Seems there has to be something wrong with my installation, but I followed the setup instructions on the wiki and those are trivial enough :o

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 12, 08:34:41 AM »

Since you are getting errors even with a blank scene (and the issue doesn't appear to be reproducible),  the issue must lie with your installation of 3ds Max or the Art Pipeline and I would recommend a full uninstall and reinstall. 

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 12, 02:47:13 AM »

Since you are getting errors even with a blank scene (and the issue doesn't appear to be reproducible),  the issue must lie with your installation of 3ds Max or the Art Pipeline and I would recommend a full uninstall and reinstall.

Hmm I reinstalled this at least two times since I got HE so I don't think this will solve it, maybe clean reinstall of whole system but that's not what I am planning to do now :D Hopefully this won't be happening on other's PCs. Is there a way to define track masks manually? Like in some file or something...

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 12, 03:39:10 AM »

Anyway I found out the tool still seems to work even after the initial error. I was able to create new track mask UpperBody, setting all bones from 'Bip01 Spine' upwards to 1.0 and the rest to 0.0 However, when I now play an animation via the Animation panel on the newly created UpperBody channel it plays and it seems bones are masked correctly. Just that the rest of the character still moves! It's hard to describe so I captured a video of this behavior and uploaded on YouTube: http://youtu.be/QpIavZficzM
First I play the "stretching" animation on AnimAllBody channel then on UpperBody only. Since bones Bip01 and even Bip01 Pelvis are not included in the mask I'd expect quite a different behavior. At least legs should not move at all. Can this be a problem with badly exported track masks or is it some inherent feature of the engine?

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 12, 07:50:34 AM »

Ha, yeah I've noticed 3ds Max doing that from time to time.  Occasionally while developing the scripts an error will appear in a file that has been completely untouched.  Then restarting max fixes it :P

It could be several things, though from the video it appears that the leg bones are included in the trackmask, as the bip01 and pelvis bones are stationary, but everything else moves as expected.  Double check your skeleton!
If you aren't playing anything on the animallbody channel, it might also cause that behavior, but that is just a guess.

Legacy

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 12, 10:22:35 AM »

Hmm.. I examined the skeleton we've got and I found out an interesting thing: legs of the skeleton are linked to Bip01 Spine bone instead of Bip01 Pelvis as I'd expect they should! I am not very good with 3ds max so I don't know how to check inside it, but Hero Viewer clearly shows that. This is the root cause of the problem, because without the Bip01 Spine bone upper body animations don't do a lot and with it included they rotate legs too :\ I will have to consult our artist, but I thought max biped is a closed structure that cannot be modified so this has to come from somewhere else... Anyway, it seems the problem is not in in track masks themselves.

PS: I just found this: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Bone_Names it seems the Bip01 L/R Thigh should indeed be parented to Bip01 Pelvis  :o

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 12, 10:37:59 AM »

Haha!  Interesting!  Yeah, I don't know how that could have happened, but that would definitely cause that kind of error.