HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Character Appearance  (Read 988 times)

Malumm

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • SynapticSwitch
[Resolved] Character Appearance
« on: May 02, 12, 03:21:23 PM »

Hello.  I am trying to change the character model of the current player character in the CCS.  I have overwritten the method HE_CCSUseCharacterSpecificationForVisibleCharacter and set the characterSpecification attribute to one of my model .DAT files. This works fine when I load into the CCS area but now I want to be able to switch to a different .DAT file for class/race selection ect.

I noticed HRef used one .DAT file and then changes the appearance using parts/texture banks for class selection.  There is some great documentation on this here http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Character_functions#Visual_Appearance_Functions
but I do not see a function for setting the base .DAT model.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 12, 10:26:57 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-JAY

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Character Appearance
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 12, 12:56:45 PM »

Take a look at the client-side _characterAppearanceClassMethods script to see how the default clean engine implementation handles attempts to change the current character specification.

In short (how it's most often used):
  • The field _characterSpecification is changed on the server by you
  • The change replicates to the client and is handled in _onReplicationFieldChanged (in _characterAppearanceClassMethods)
  • The character specification is loaded.
  • A call is made to the external function RecreateCharacter which unloads the current visible HBNode and recreates it with the new character specification
  • Now you have your new character node

Malumm

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • SynapticSwitch
Re: Character Appearance
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 12, 07:04:48 PM »

Thank you very much for your reply.