HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] A good rig for Maya?  (Read 2033 times)

gaarzen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] A good rig for Maya?
« on: May 12, 12, 05:22:06 AM »

Hey guys,
I usually use Setup Machine for characters in Maya, however, it is built in a very different fashion than rigs for computer games.. too many joints, clusters etc.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a nice rig setup for Maya that would do well for characters in HE?

Thanks a lot :)
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 01:01:16 PM by HE-Cooper »

gaarzen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: A good rig for Maya?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 12, 02:06:12 AM »

I found a pretty good one for character rigging called "Rapid Rig" and another nice one that can be assembled upon any set of joints for universal rigging called "IKinema" if anyone is interested.

Still looking for nice and similar solutions :)

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 12, 08:35:46 AM »

Ah yes, Rapid Rig :)

It is quite nice, though make sure you use the "single hierarchy" when you create the rig (it pops up as an alert window when you click generate rig).  The 'single hierarchy' skeleton is what you'll want to skin your meshes to, where you'll add the SRB, and contains the bones you'll want to export.

Like Setup Machine, it has some stuff that isn't intended for video game characters, but most of it is automatically disabled when you choose to create the single hierarchy.

Rapid Rig can be found on Creative Crash, it has a free version as well as paid, so give it a try.

Where did you find IKinema?

gaarzen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 12, 10:07:11 PM »

Hey Bennett,
I've tried Rapid Rig and indeed the single hirearchy is almost perfect, also helps with eye rotation and Jaw movement among the usual things, will probably be buying that soon :)

IKinema can be found here:
http://www.ikinema.com/
It is pretty amazing with tons of features though the joints and controllers are to be made by the rigger himself before using it which then it will allow him to create a very smart rig setup for any set of joints & controllers he creates.