HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] seeking tips on animation and aas, blending movement and rotation  (Read 2563 times)

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile

Hi!

Honestly, i did not make an indepth overview of animation and aas, but it would be cool if someone would point me in the right direction.

I have two animations:

-one moves a srb forward
-the other rotates srb left

I would like to blend these two animations so they  move and rotate my character simultaneously.
How should my aas script look like? So far it looks like this (simplified):

when MoveDirection {
       is Forward:
        anim "move_forward"
        hold 0.25 seconds
        blend 0.25
        align false
        looping true
      }

when TurnDirection {
       is Left:
        anim "rotate_left_180"
        hold 0.25 seconds
        blend 0.25
        align false
        looping true
      }

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 03:51:18 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile

well it depends what you're trying to accomplish specifically:

Lets say the initial direction your character is facing is North.  I think what it sounds like you  want is for the character to end up facing and moving West.  Basically moving in an arc.  In fact, if you continue moving that way, you'd inscribe a circle, correct?

If that's not quite it, give a better description of what you're after.

Either way, blending of two animations is not done through the AAS.  The AAS is only ever playing one sequences (per animation channel).  The blend value there refers to how much of the prior sequence to blend into the one you've just defined as you switch from one to another.  There is also likely a simpler solution than blending two animations.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile

Lets say the initial direction your character is facing is North.  I think what it sounds like you  want is for the character to end up facing and moving West.  Basically moving in an arc.  In fact, if you continue moving that way, you'd inscribe a circle, correct?

Yes, that is exactly what i am trying to accomplish. The resulting movement would be an arc.
I'm trying to understand the basic concepts behind the animation system, so i'm just wondering if this can be done  by combining these two animations in some way (for example alternate moving and rotation very quickly).

Kind regards

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile

In that case, the turning would probably be accomplished procedurally via the ACCC. (advcanced customizable character controller)

Alternating animations, as you put it, wouldn't work, as you would be starting at the beginning of the sequence each time you switched.

Basically, if the character is moving in an arc, I'm assuming player character here, the character's root node can just be rotated by the character controller while the character is moving forward.  If the character's "forward" direction is in relation to the direction the camera is pointing, this is already how the basic character controller works.  Turn animations are only really used when changing directions quickly or from a stationary position.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile

Hi!

I understand now. Thanks for the explanation.