HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Resolved] 3d sounds(Fmod) and HE...  (Read 2821 times)

PN-Vinz

• Developers
  • Orchestral music composer
    • View Profile
    • sound-pix.com
[Resolved] 3d sounds(Fmod) and HE...
« on: May 29, 12, 01:30:47 PM »

Hi,

I'm trying to add 3D sounds (created with FOD) on HE... using Fx editor...

Import is Ok, I can hear sound.. but actually, 3D configurations (min/max distance, roll off...) does not work.
In fact 3dsounds behave just like 2D sounds...
(keep in mind that I have done what "wiki" tells)

The problem is that i don't really know where is the problem... in Fmod file, HE or both?
May be I am the problem!!! :)

Someone could help me?

Thanks for helping. :)

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 12, 08:22:00 AM by HE-Cooper »
Let's groove...

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: 3d sounds(Fmod) and HE...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 12, 07:28:43 PM »

From what I have gathered, fmod sounds do not have the editable properties in Hero that sgt's did, so it appears that sort of thing is set when making/exporting the sound from the fmod software (but I don't actually work with that myself, so this is my assumption).
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

PN-Vinz

• Developers
    • View Profile
    • sound-pix.com
« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 12, 09:11:31 AM »

Thanks for repliyng... :)

There is not enough informations (or too much approximative!) about the subject for the moment.
I'll try and try again till i find a solution...
Actually,I think that FMOD parameters' setting is the most important on which I have to pay attention...

we'll see... 

:D
Let's groove...

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 12, 09:22:48 AM »

Technically, I could post the FMOD projects I did for the Space Ref game, since it's all Garage Band sound, or at least I think I can without any legal ramifications, and that might help with whatever settings you are overlooking. But the wiki article I wrote should take you exactly where you need to be for 3d and 2d sounds.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 12, 08:00:28 AM »

Thank you all for your help; Vincent got the 3D sounds to work, and also its distances. :)

Although what we are struggling now with is that the 3D sound is determined by the position of the CAMERA instead of the PLAYER. We would like the human player to hear the sounds as his avatar would.

Any ideas? Where would we start? Is this a scripting thing? We are quite clueless (I am mostly :P)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 12, 08:42:22 AM »

So if your camera is facing the character and a sound happens to the left of the player in your game it will play out the left speaker? :-)

PN-Vinz

• Developers
    • View Profile
    • sound-pix.com
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 12, 09:03:10 AM »

It's not a right/left problem. Sound is "targeted" on camera and not on chara...

If the chara is near an "object" that emit a sound with a little projection, sound seems faraway...
but when the camera is on this object it sounds normal!!!  X]
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 12, 09:10:14 AM by vinmuz »
Let's groove...

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 12, 09:11:34 AM »

Behold MSPAINT:

The sound has a range that includes the character: it must be heard from the left speaker (player facing north). But this is not the case as we have it now: we don't hear anything if we have the setup of the picture below.

If we move the camera into the sound-range, my speakers are singing accordingly to its location (3D).

What we would like is to have 3D sound based on character position, and not on camera position.
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 12, 09:18:22 AM by PN-Dwight »

PN-Vinz

• Developers
    • View Profile
    • sound-pix.com
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 12, 09:38:56 AM »

wiki article I wrote should take you exactly where you need to be for 3d

[quote : HEWIKI article]Hit F5 to open the hotspot menu. Click the tools tab, and then click FX. Open up whatever spec you want to use.
Drag the 3dFMOD icon into the FX Group, select it, and in the properties on the right you just need to set up two things:
Click the ... in the resource panel, and navigate to HE>Audio, and select the MyProject.fev file.
Then paste the event path MyGame/Bang or whichever event you want to call into the empty event path panel.
Voila![/quote]

et voilą...quoi?

How to deal with all parameters of an fx task (i've read Basic FxTasks HEWIKI... and )?
I'm not talking about ordinary one (like fade in/out...) but those like start fx on, Target/caster (target-info does not exist!)...

I've done what you've wrote... and I effectively  heard my sound when pushing PREVIEW... that's all!

Let's groove...

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 12, 09:57:16 AM »

Target and faster in the FX preview are whatever you'd like them to be, target for an FX you would pass in from script. But that has nothing to do with sound per se. So I would start another thread if you have FX system questions.

Also, I fully understand your ms paint outline, but if sounds are relative to the character and your character is facing North, and the camera is facing South Looking at your character, it's odd. So you want sounds that are closer to the camera to be quieter than sounds farther away from the camera but closer to the character? I've just never heard of any game doing that, but if you had an example game maybe I can wrap my head around it.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 12, 10:11:59 AM »

So you want sounds that are closer to the camera to be quieter than sounds farther away from the camera but closer to the character? I've just never heard of any game doing that, but if you had an example game maybe I can wrap my head around it.

Nice twist of words, but not really :P

[definitions]
Player = the avatar in game
human = the human controlling the Player, sitting behind his computer with headphones.
camera = the viewpoint with which you can see your player and environment (point in 3D space)

[problem]
In HE, 3D sound is available for everyone to do fancy hocus pocus with. However, the 3D effect of the sound is based on the location of the camera, and not from the location of the player. We wish for the human to hear the sounds as if he were the Player, and not the camera.

In the end, the camera shall NOT be used to calculate 3D sounds, but ONLY the Player. We said nothing about sounds being further away from the camera than the player, maybe the picture confused you.

[Extreme example]:
The camera is in outer space, and the player stands left of the fire, which emits a sound. As it is now, the human will not hear any sounds, since the camera is not in the sound-range of the sound-emitting object. What we want however, is that the human hears the sound based on the position of the Player, and not the camera.

Conclusively: the camera must have nothing to do with the sound. Only the Player position determines how we will hear the sound.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 12, 10:16:15 AM »

Yes, what I'm saying is is that you haven't thought it through. I'm not going to go back and forth but soon now you are going to reread my responses and have an aha moment. :-)

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 12, 10:30:25 AM »

Yes, what I'm saying is is that you haven't thought it through. I'm not going to go back and forth but soon now you are going to reread my responses and have an aha moment. :-)

Aha moment was a success! :D
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 12, 10:56:21 AM by PN-Dwight »

--Nef--

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 15, 02:10:53 AM »

Also, I fully understand your ms paint outline, but if sounds are relative to the character and your character is facing North, and the camera is facing South Looking at your character, it's odd. So you want sounds that are closer to the camera to be quieter than sounds farther away from the camera but closer to the character? I've just never heard of any game doing that, but if you had an example game maybe I can wrap my head around it.

Howdy all.

That is exactly what I'm trying to do so I figured I would post here instead of starting a new thread. No aha moment for me yet.. ;)

I have an example here in a short video I made of a game doing exactly what you described. (swtor - total coincidence, was just the easiest one to get an example from. I believe Fallen Earth works this way as well but it's harder to get an example from)

I'm using the sounds of the speeders and my footsteps and weapon holster to show that the camera position has no effect on sounds, it's all heard through the "ears" of your character.

http://youtu.be/f2abzDMnft4

Haven't discovered a way to set it up like this yet. It would be real nice for things like playing with your camera zoomed way out, so you can still hear things that are only meant to be heard close up.   

Any help would be awesome!  :D

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: [Resolved] 3d sounds(Fmod) and HE...
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 15, 10:06:16 AM »

I see (hear?) what you are talking about in that video.  However it is a strange contradiction.

I believe what Cooper was talking about is the relationship between sight and sound.  By having a third-person camera, you naturally have third-person sight. But then you are coupling that with first-person sound.  Generally sight and sound are kept together, with both as either first- or third-person, because that is generally how people perceive the real world.  So to disconnect the two lessens the realism.

The most realistic way to hear as if you are at the character is to also see as if you are at the character, i.e. make it a first-person game.  In a third-person game, the player is not really being the character, they are watching them from some imaginary floating camera, so for me as a player I would want to hear relative to my own viewpoint, which is where the camera is.

But to your point, if you are intent on going the route of decoupling sight and sound, I am not sure what to tell you.  In my limited experience with sound engineering, I know part of it involves dictating where the "listener" is, but in HeroEngine my guess is you'd need a source code license to make such a change.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.
Pages: [1] 2