HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Default LOD Behavior question (Images included)  (Read 3894 times)

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios

Hello,

I have a barrel, that at a certain distance, changes on its own, as if Level of Detail is in effect for it. I have not included any Level of Detail for it, so I am wondering if there is a default behavior.  In this case, the outside of the barrel seems to "vanish" leaving just the interior of the barrel behind. Since the normals for the inside of the barrel face inward, you get the weird culling affect that comes with looking at a model with single-sided facing.

Here is the image of the barrel at a distance it renders normally:

Here is the barrel when you get too far from it:

This is the first asset I have added since giving the engine a try, so I do not know if this is default behavior without LOD assigned.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 12, 09:04:17 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Default LOD Behavior question (Images included)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 12, 01:49:40 PM »

Two things could be happening. You have setup up an LOD for the object, and it's normals are incorrect for that LOD, or the object is attempting to become transparant, which is what happens for the transition from the last LOD to "dissapear", and the construction of the object is causing only one facet of it to become transparent.

What does the barrel look like as you pull further away from it? You can see what the LOD are supposed to do by looking at objects in fantasy lowlands and pulling further and closer to them. Though I actually have them all set to values lower than 1, so they will LOD quickly, which I didn't mean to do.

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 12, 02:06:08 PM »

I've not set up any LOD yet (have yet to try tackling that with the engine) but the second reason seems very possible.  When I zoom far enough away, it fades out completely, disappearing from view completely -- I like the transitional fading affect, btw -- it's a lot better than the engines I come from.

The barrel was constructed of a single tube combined with a flattened cylinder bottom. I use maya and the seperate meshes were combined. The history was then deleted. Normals all appear to face the correct direction. I can't imagine that the construction of the object  is wrong as it's just a barrel and should be pretty elementary.. however, there could be some nuance with the engine that Im unfamiliar with.

I have not had issues with the prop in prior engines -- but both are pretty small potatoes compared to this one.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 12, 02:08:49 PM »

It's going to take Bennett then to point you in the right direction. The tents in Fantasy Lowlands have internal and external facing UVs. Do they do anything odd when you move farther away from them?
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 12, 02:13:17 PM by HE-BENNETT »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 12, 02:14:16 PM »

We're taking a look at it RonalMB :)

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 12, 02:20:37 PM »

I see that now. At first, i thought things were glitching! I kept deleting the barrels you were spawning.. then i saw the second avatar and tried to delete that too. Whoops!

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios
« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 12, 02:22:26 PM »

Follow up -- Maybe its' my video card? Im seeing the same affect on one of the tents you have placed.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 12, 02:25:24 PM »

It is definitely not you or your barrel. The tents exhibit the same problems. Basically, you'd never notice if the LOD level was set high, which it normally is for objects, but if it's at 1 or below you notice it immediately.

Appears to be either something we broke recently, or something we didn't expect with the new LOD system.

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios
« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 12, 02:31:04 PM »

Good to know. Thank you for taking such a quick look! I'm really impressed so far. I'm just at the hobbyist level at the moment, but you're definitely wowing me. I really think I'll be sticking around!

Not really the place to ask this but given you have workings in place to handle payments and billings ... have you ever given thought to offering services for an "asset market"? I.e. a place where HeroCloud Artists or scripters might be able to put up Engine ready assets/scripts for HeroCloud developers to purchase or download (if offered for free)?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 11, 12, 02:32:09 PM »

Yup, it's next on the list. We're trying to find shops interesting in hosting assets, and then we'll open it up to any developers that want to host HeroEngine specific assets.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 12, 03:47:22 PM »

We're going to look into it. Out of interest, do you have an alpha blend on it? And if you do, when you just use an alpha test does the issue go away?

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios
« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 12, 11:50:34 AM »

My apologies. I never realized you followed up with another post on this! I am familiar with the difference between alpha blend and alpha test but I am not familiar with how you do one or the other within the confines of HeroEngine.

In case you are still looking into this, the barrel (and now a wicker basket) have no alpha on them. Both have a hollow interior, however.

I noticed today that I had a second object having this issue and I recalled you mentioning that it wouldnt be noticable if the LOD is set high (which it normally is)... but if it's at 1 or below, you notice immediately.

My question is how do I set the LOD to be high? I am unable to locate how this would be done.

Again, sorry for not noticing your second post.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 12, 12:02:15 PM »

There's two things. The LOD factor, in the properties panel, determines the distance between object LODs. So, even if you just have 1 LOD on an object, that property determines what distance it starts going transparant. So if you set it to 10, you will have to go very far for it to change, and if you set it to .1, then it will happen immediately.

I suspect that the alpha blend on that barrel you have is what's causing things to render in the wrong order, as blended alpha materials don't sort per poly. You determine what type of alpha a texture has by what type of DDS file you export it as, DXT1, 3 or 5.