HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Room Visibility problem  (Read 1642 times)

Illuminati

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Room Visibility problem
« on: Jun 14, 12, 04:49:14 AM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm standing in Area B2:107 just across the border from B2:55. We have a grove of trees that are planted in B2:55 just south of the border to B2:107. Visible rooms in B2:107 are 158, 159, 160, 106, 108, 54, 55, and 56. For some reason, the grove of trees does not appear unless room 1 is made visible. This makes no sense to me. How is room 1 even part of the equation? Am I missing something here?

Also, when the Areas are stitched together, are the rooms that are the same supposed to turn into one large room of the same name, or stay discreet rooms?
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 12, 09:13:35 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Room Visibility problem
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 12, 06:52:16 AM »

Sounds like the trees are in room one. Remember, changing physical location doesn't change what room things are in.

HE-JAY

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 12, 09:40:33 AM »

To be doubly sure, check the properties "Room" and "AreaNumber"/"AreaName" in the properties panel while your tree is selected.  Know that when you create an asset instance in the world, it will 'always always always' belong to the area displayed in the lower-right-hand corner of HeroBlade and to the room currently active. You can of course move the instance using the Assets panel to either a different room or different area, but by default it will always appear in the area and room your character is standing in.

Illuminati

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 12, 11:12:02 AM »

Thanks guys. I do believe I heard the world builder say something about copying tres just for testing lod issues. If he started in room 1 and just copied trees into all of the areas, then that may be that is the issue. I'll check it when I get home.

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Triad Game Studios, LLC.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 12, 12:01:55 PM »

...<snip>... You can of course move the instance using the Assets panel to either a different room or different area, ...<snip>...

Afternoon Jay, I hope you two do not mind me interrupting here, though I was wondering about something. How exactly do you move an asset to another area? I had found how to move to another room, though had never seen an option anywhere for another area.

I had wanted to clone an item and move it to another area, but never did find out how to do this.  All options I can find lead only to moving an asset to a different room; "New, *everywhere*, Room". None of these had or have lead me to set up that asset to another area.

I had thought I might be missing something or that it was not possible. Now that you mentioned it, I am sure I had overlooked something.

That would help us out a lot.. and I am sure others out there as well. May even help out Illuminati as well if they want to keep the assets where they are just have them belong to the other areas.

Thank you,
Sarrene'

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 12, 12:45:33 PM »

I've never even tried to copy objects across areas, as that just struck me as dangerous. Would it move it to the same location value in the next area? If you have a seamless link between A and B, and you stand in B, so that it shows EDIT B in the bottom right, and then you grab a rock that's currently placed in A with the dynamic tool, then hit CTRL-D, and place the new rock into area B, what are the properties of the new rock? Hmm.

Jay would know more.

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 12, 01:59:09 PM »

I am not sure how that could be dangerous to be honest- bad, yes;  not a good looking world, yes; assets popping in from thin air- definitely! .. It would be a problem of having problems of assets not being visible to correct corresponding areas as in Illuminati's case.

The object you clone still belongs to the same area you cloned it from. So the issue is as Jay said, the asset "always always" belongs to that originating area.

That is why I had asked about the changing the area ownership as he mentioned in his post. I think it would be great! Especially for things like water, or other assets you want to have span more than one area.

Practical application for this could be:
You have a lake that spans across two areas. Currently we have to create one set it up in areaA, then go to areaB, and recreate and duplicate the water and get it set u and aligned just right. If we could clone the water in areaA, move it using only the x or z and get it aligned.. then chance the area ownership, imagine the time that could save!

This could apply to trees, rocks, buildings or what ever.  In Illuminati's case it could mean simply assigning those trees to the second area instead of deleting them and then going into that area and replacing them.

So Jay.. How can we reassign (or move the asset/instance) to another area through the Assets panel?  :)

Peace,
Sarrene'

HE-JAY

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 12, 03:21:37 PM »

I misspoke slightly (:  To move instances from one seamlessly connected area to another, the procedure is as follows:
  • Stand in the destination area (the area you want to move the instances to) such that the destination area is shown at the bottom-right of the HeroBlade window
  • Hop into FLY mode and select the assets you want to snag
  • Open the Area panel and expand the Seamless Links subpanel
  • Click the 'Bring Instances Here' button and watch as the blue bounding boxes (which indicate the instances are in a different area) turn yellow and their properties reflect their new location.

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 12, 03:28:35 PM »

Oh that is great! One thing I had not tried!

Thank you SO MUCH jay! 

This is a great tool also for when we do not have the Dim Other clicked and realize later that we have placed an asset in the wrong area. I have done that a couple times, and had to delete those and replace them in the correct area.

Again, THANK YOU so much!
sarrene'

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 12, 04:07:45 PM »

Oh right, of course. I was thinking the whole duplication was the problem, as bring instance here moves the object. But of course, you could just duplicate it first, then bring the duplicated instance over the link...brain power. :-)

Illuminati

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 12, 07:55:34 PM »

Thanks HE-STAFF, that was the problem!