HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Way to remove visible seams between character parts?  (Read 2170 times)

gaarzen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

Hey guys,
I noticed that when I split my character into parts for dynamic customization (Torso, Arms, Hands, Legs, Feet, Head) I can view the seams between those parts.
I tried looking on the default character to see if it's just on my character and those seams actually appear on the default character as well.
I was wondering if there is anyway to make the model seamless because it looks pretty bad.

Thanks !
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 04:44:21 PM by HE-Cooper »

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Way to remove visible seams between character parts?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 12, 04:29:27 PM »

select the multiple parts put an edit poly modifier on the all, the you must choose like edit normals modifier, select the verticies where they seam, and set average normals to like .025 or something and click the average button or whatever, sorry it's been awhile, will remove all seams. You will know you are doing it right when each vertice has a blue line sticking out of them. Not exactly how to do it without  firing up the program, but that is how you do it as we had the same issue. not sure why Max does that but it is very annoying, Maya doesn't do this.

gaarzen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 12, 06:55:58 PM »

select the multiple parts put an edit poly modifier on the all, the you must choose like edit normals modifier, select the verticies where they seam, and set average normals to like .025 or something and click the average button or whatever, sorry it's been awhile, will remove all seams. You will know you are doing it right when each vertice has a blue line sticking out of them. Not exactly how to do it without  firing up the program, but that is how you do it as we had the same issue. not sure why Max does that but it is very annoying, Maya doesn't do this.
Actually I am using Maya and I'd love to know how to fix it in Maya.. :)
Soften edges doesn't seem to do the trick and I can see the problem in Maya as well.

Thanks for the reply !

gaarzen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 12, 07:15:04 PM »

I found the solution ! I had to use "Average normals" on all the overlapping vertices between parts and that did the trick.. now it seems seamless  :D
Thanks a lot for your help, I didn't know there is a way to fixing that.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 12, 08:46:23 AM »

I believe you can also use FixSeam.exe, which is included in the art pipeline.  It is intended for addressing that exact issue.  Though, at the moment, I can't speak for the state of the documentation on it.  It is on the list for overhaul, but take a look at the wiki and see if that will be useful for you :)

gaarzen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 12, 11:28:51 AM »

I believe you can also use FixSeam.exe, which is included in the art pipeline.  It is intended for addressing that exact issue.  Though, at the moment, I can't speak for the state of the documentation on it.  It is on the list for overhaul, but take a look at the wiki and see if that will be useful for you :)
Nice, thanks