HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Animated Texture Radiation and Opac changes  (Read 3858 times)

DeeRobbins

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Shadow Empire Gameworks Community Site
[Resolved] Animated Texture Radiation and Opac changes
« on: Jun 18, 12, 11:05:57 AM »

Hi, have been searching for some info on this topic however have not found anything that covers it so would really appreciate some FB please guys. ???

Is there a simple way that i am missing to create an animated texture that radiates from a single point with HE Mat Exp? i need a water impact for a circular fountain. Simple in Max however in HE im scratching my head here as im only getting scrolling.

Also opacity changes within a plane for lite animation?

Sorry if i have missed this elsewhere however having searched for over an hour thought take it to Forum as someone may have sorted this without creating multi planes with scrolling tex's :)

Thanks in advance Dx
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 12, 08:11:48 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Animated Texture Radiation and Opac changes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 12, 11:51:49 AM »

I'm assuming you've already found how to animate UV's inside the Hero Material settings and you're just not sure how to utilize that to produce the effect you're after.

Basically you would need to take the circular mesh and arrange the UV's such that scrolling the texture, for example, from left to right would map such that it radiates from the center.

This is a little hard to describe, but imagine a circle who's UV's are also a circle, basically a direct projection of the vertices onto the texure.

Now Imagine that there are arrows on the circle that radiate from the center.  You need to take the UV's of the circle and unfold them such that those arrows all point in the same direction.  Then, set up the material to scroll the UV's in that direction and you're set!

DeeRobbins

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 12, 12:07:53 PM »

Yes i am aware of how to scroll textures with HE Mats, i just wanted clarity on recomended method for radiating textures, thanks for the reply.. kind of difficult to get an idea of what you are suggesting for the above.. however i belive that you are explaining that the effect can only be achieved by scrolling textures simultaniosly as opposed to XY coord's, so i will play around with that and see how that goes..

You did not mention on the animation of fade opacity animation for planes.. i.e. 100%-75-50-75-100 to give a lite flash effect on a single plane/ what would you recomend to achive this basic UV effect?

Thanks agaiin Dx

Ascend2Crux

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Ascend 2 Crux
« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 12, 09:57:14 AM »

Here is something I would love to see in a video!
Ascend 2 Crux where everything is player made.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 12, 11:44:42 AM »

You cannot animate opacity on an asset via Max or Maya and the hero material.  That's something you'd do with the FX system or custom scripts in the engine.

Also, this image shows what I was describing for using animated UV's to radiate from the center of a circle:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/8530969/1024/Anonymous/radiating-uvs.png

DeeRobbins

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 12, 12:13:34 PM »

Ahh.. kk.. not exactly how i got it to work but along the same lines so all good.

Im a little supprised that this function is not part of the HE Mat export, is this something that will be added at a later date as it is a useful base effect as im sure you know.. U mention the FX system can produce this type of effect in the mean time.. are there any tutorials or is there any info available? any pointers/ tips are greatly received..

Thanks again for info Dx

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 12, 12:20:36 PM »

Make particles. Attach to an FX. Make it do stuff you want. :-)

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Particles
http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Fx_System_Tutorial

DeeRobbins

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 12, 12:35:52 PM »

As i mentined this is for a single plane effect that takes 20 seconds to create in max not a particle effect that takes substantially longer (for anyone having tried to create a unique effect will agree).  little side notes in the wiki such as This section is in-process, and may not work properly do not exactly inspire confidence in the referance material. Can i ask that someone PLEASE review the Particle creation guide in Wiki as it is a nightmare to work with and as mentioned apparently may or may not work correctly.

There is no mention of 2d implentation only 3d so im guessing that i just have to play around for a while unless there is some info on this squirrled away that i have not located :) or if anyone has some quick win info that they can share on this please.

Again all i need is a single image that changes opacity in a fixed positon i.e. on a wall, model or landscape position.

Can you please advise as i requested above, if the basic plane animation effect's is something that HE Mat Exporter plan to include in the future?

Thanks again Dx
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 12, 12:41:45 PM by DeeRobbins »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 19, 12, 12:39:52 PM »

Bennett linked you a way to unwrap UVs to have the animated textures do what you wanted. That's pretty clean.
Making particles, both 2d and 3d, is pretty easy. Most particles in most games are 2d, as that's kind of their point, that they save on verts by using tricks of blend and camera facing, but you can also uses meshes as emitters or as the particles being emitted themselves. You can also have the particles use random quadrants of a single texture to simulate animation and movement.

DeeRobbins

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 12, 12:49:12 PM »

Thanks.. sorted other than the edit on my post re the particle editor Wiki. As mentioned a review would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dx
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 12, 12:53:57 PM by DeeRobbins »