HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Water Water Water....  (Read 2330 times)

OmegaV

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • GamerzDEN
[Resolved] Water Water Water....
« on: Jun 22, 12, 03:24:45 AM »

Our group is finding this engine less appeasing to work with.
First there was the graphic issue with the water. After mucking around with that, we managed to get it to be a semi suitable state.
Now the physics of the water, is being highly uncooperative. Considering most of the our avatars are going to be floating in the water, not riding the top line.

When trying to set the physics for the ships. our ships end up being catapulted off the game board like a kick ball or something.

If you have any information how to set it so there is a wake depth for ships that would be great.

But this is a serious problem for us.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 12, 09:08:09 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Water Water Water....
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 12, 05:58:11 AM »

Omega, you need to call down and think things through. One, you actually aren't using water as water, since you aren't going under the water I'm not sure I'd even be using water. 2, the "wake depth" of your ship would be entirely art and bone driven. 3 you're saying that turning physics on on something is catapulting something else? Physics on what?

OmegaV

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • GamerzDEN
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 12, 07:11:40 AM »

1st . We will have underwater view. And aquatic lifeforms with AI for dolphins and flying fish, shraks etc.

2nd  Trying to create a fluid environment is turning out to be much more complicated on the HeroEngine than we anticipated, where CryEngine3 has already built in what we need.

I am not upset, just frustrated. Because We don't want to use the CryEngine3, because its a beast of a memory hog. And people need top of the line computers to run some of the games that use that engine.

We already have a partially built world on the CryEngine3, but we found HeroEngine might be more of what we are looking for, and we like the package deal for licensing and it's reasonable for the source code.

But right now, the more we try to work through our issues, the more intriguing CryEngine3 is becoming.

Collision, transparencies, few other things are just (drops off)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 12, 08:30:25 AM »

Okay, so I think you've solved your own conundrum with graphical features versus required machine spec. And as I outlined for you in the other water thread, there aren't any transparancy issues, the ocean water and river water are designed to specifically do what they are doing, and be low impact while covering a large area. The ripple water provides the answer you're looking for, and while i would suggest more creative artistry of vertex painting, and billboards, and scrolling textures, and generally using tricks to achieve the look and feel, if you want to go with layering two planes of ripple water, I won't stop you.

So let's get the issues you're having with game system implementation sorted out. So far I see a question about how to make things ride lower in the water, and then a reference to turning on physics on objects doing something you don't want it to do. So, let's keep in mind that our engine is designed to make online games, only, so sometimes features that seem like they should be more simple have to be complex, and frequently, since we're offering a cloud solution without access to source, we've provided a turnkey solution that you may want to be more complex or powerful, and that you'd have to script a solution for. For a specific game like yours, that you want to push the look and feel of say water to the limit, I can provide you a cheaper client source code only package that would let your graphics engineers push anything to whatever limit you want, while still letting us handle all the server, hosting, database management, etc. So that's always something to think about.

But, let's first figure out what you're trying to do, and how you're doing it, and then see if we can get you some help. Are your boats being implemented as player characters? NPCs? Static Objects? What are you trying to have their interaction be with the water and with each other? Have you scripted custom systems, or just trying to use the default clean engine and E script implementations?

OmegaV

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • GamerzDEN
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 12, 08:43:02 AM »

Smiling big...

I appreciate this. I'll email you about the inquiry of pricing.