HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Advice for lighting/collision  (Read 1474 times)

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Triad Game Studios, LLC.
[Resolved] Advice for lighting/collision
« on: Jun 23, 12, 01:55:40 PM »

I would like to ask if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on how to handle light passing through assets.
Right now, by default, light source of any type passes through all physical assets.

Perhaps I am missing something, but all my old tricks do not work. I tried rooms, and that did not give the desired result either. I may have missed something in the asset settings, or perhaps we can create our own lights? If the later is possible on the cloud, let me know and I will have our lead programmer look into it.

Images seem to give the best example, so here are three: first two show how the engine processes lights and not recognizing asset collision. The third image is a mockup (edit of two images) of what I would like to see as results.

Thank you, and I hope to be able to get some help on this.
Sarrene'
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 12, 09:07:01 AM by HE-Cooper »

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for lighting/collision
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 12, 02:16:21 PM »

On a side note, If we can have lights recognize collision (as they do for cameras, players and npc's), that would help out a lot! And not just me im sure! I am sure this would help out others.

In this case, with rooms set up for the inside of the buildings, we need the lights to be able to show through some of the windows. I would rather NOT put in additional lights for each window, because that would be more to render in the long run.

I have tried making radius smaller... but for assets like sconces, animated lanterns and ceiling lights, this does NOT work. Here are a few (of the many) things I have tried.

Ceilings and types of lighting:
... Spot light does not work because it shines down into the lower levels of the buildings.
... Spot light does not work because it does not show the light on the ceiling.
... Omni light does not work because it shows through the ceiling and walls and floors.

Multiple lights with reduced radius:
... Will not work for animated hanging lanterns- does not give that alive feeling to the world= dead lighting.
... does not work with reflecting light off the interior walls.
... does not work/look well with wall sconce, or other near wall ambient light source.

Thank you again, I hope that others may have found a solution, know how to get what we want/need to work... It is very possible I may have been over thinking things and completely missed the solution.

Or this might be something that can be added in to a near future patch/update. for most rpg and fps games, I am sure this is something that many designers/developers would love to use!

Peace,
Sarrene'

JGrant

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 12, 02:35:57 PM »

I know a good portion of the game engines out there support true HDR lighting.  Even in limited builders sets like TES you can set your lighting not to pass through walls.  It may not seem like much but having living lighting is important to the immersion of a game and its play.  walking through a town at night you don't want to see light passing through a brick wall same as daylight entering a darkened building it should be dark inside with some areas of light provided by openings like doors and windows.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 12, 10:08:08 AM »

The HeroCloud's renderer doesn't have HDR lighting. For lights shining through ceilings and floors, or from outside to inside you would use rooms to make the lights only appear in those rooms. For wall sconces you could use the outer and inner angles of the light to angle the light in specific directions.

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 12, 11:38:48 AM »

Are there plans to bring in HDR lighting into the engine in the near future (within 12 months)?

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 12, 05:48:32 PM »

Oh, I hope so.  Cooper keeps trying to put out a press release before I've even finished it  ;D
herb marselas
graphics guy

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 12, 05:55:11 PM »

The only thing i can say to this news is...

Thank you,
Sarrene'