HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] DDS Textures in ZBRush > Maya > HE pipeline  (Read 2311 times)

PRatliff

• World Owners
    • View Profile
[Resolved] DDS Textures in ZBRush > Maya > HE pipeline
« on: Jul 07, 12, 02:45:22 PM »

My current pipeline for organic modeling is ZBrush Polypainting, Unwrap UVs, generate Texture Map from PolyPaint, GoZ into Maya, rigging and animation, then HE Export;

The problem is that ZBRush generates .TIF textures, and HE (from what I understand) only accepts DDS. This means manually running the Nvidia DDS tools to convert them, move them manually to Depot, updating the texture path in Maya (including new file extension), adding the Hero Shader and then uploading via Repo Browser. This is kinda a pain in the ass.

Does anyone know if there is an easier way to do this? Have ZBrush generate DDS textures instead? Or save the Texture Map to the Depot automatically? Have Maya/Zbrush/HE Export convert to DDS on the fly?
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 01:47:29 PM by HE-Cooper »

PRatliff

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Re: DDS Textures in ZBRush > Maya > HE pipeline
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 12, 02:46:50 PM »

And on a related note, adding the Hero Shader to a model in Maya makes it look like total shit. Is there any way to have this render nicely in Maya's viewports? Or do I just need to remove the Shader if I want to do anything useful in Maya after adding it?

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 12, 08:28:15 AM »

Nope, sorry :)  It's possible that there is a plugin somewhere to have Zbrush create dds files, but I haven't run into one yet and you'd still have to create the HeroMaterial, of course.

In the attribute editor you can turn on high quality shading for the HeroMaterial, which should improve the rendering.  Generally I just work with a blinn version of the material until I'm done messing with the texture and then work with textures off (after applying the heroshader).

Work on fixing the shader rendering in Maya is low in priority since we're currently trying to move away from a Suite-specific pipeline.  This should mean you won't need a special HeroShader in Max and Maya in the not-too-distant future.

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 12, 11:46:34 AM »

A number of standard texture formats are supported, but DDS is preferred for performance and quality reasons

Try the TIF and see.  I would just check but I don't have source access where I am

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 12, 08:04:31 AM »

The problem is that ZBRush generates .TIF textures, and HE (from what I understand) only accepts DDS. This means manually running the Nvidia DDS tools to convert them, move them manually to Depot, updating the texture path in Maya (including new file extension), adding the Hero Shader and then uploading via Repo Browser. This is kinda a pain in the ass.

every single engine I have used requires the same painful workflow. TIF is not a popular game engine and is pretty much not use in game dev for many reasons. with the exception of cryengine, it use a format called crytiff, but you have to run it through a compiler, it compresses it, and it also spits out DDS for mips to accompany the cryTIF. DDS is the preferred game engine format. To convert to DDS, reassign textures, move to repo only takes a couple of minutes per assets.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 12, 12:38:46 PM by Stadi_Thompson »