HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Viral Dawn  (Read 5794 times)

Lunchbox

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • BrandNGames
Viral Dawn
« on: Jul 08, 12, 06:21:27 PM »

This project started on a different engine entirely and started as just something to do to stay busy and to just do what I love.  Since then there have been a couple different versions even a strictly web only version done by Hallsofvahalla (I'm sure a few of you here know that name.).

The basic premise or theme behind the game is Zombies, which everyone loves. The style of game play in this version will be a combo or a mix of different systems. These include city or outpost building, and your standard rpg/fps combat (Still up in the air about which way to go with it.)

Originally I was going to start with a game more akin to the social app demo but the more I get into the Hero Engine the more the creative juices start flowing, and I get all those I can do this and that and this flowing through my brain.

There is no solid gameplay working just yet other than some simple slash commands to attack a zombie with, and while I do have some zombies they haven't learned to fight back yet and they don't like to play dead(silly character controllers), they just like to follow you and give you a big hug when there not running in place.

Well enough of the reading, here are some of the shots of my progress so far and one of the concepts drawn up for me. Just a heads up the logo was not done by the artist that did the concept, that was done by another artist.

This was my first attempt at a city scene. Ended up scrapping it for now. Was way to performance heavy, and I didn't even have npcs in yet.

Lunchbox

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • BrandNGames
Re: Viral Dawn
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 12, 06:25:38 PM »

Here is the city map version two. Turned out to be much much better performance wise and the overall look.

and some shots of one of the first areas outside of the city. Not nearly finished with this area yet.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 12, 07:12:38 PM »

Looks like Vancouver after losing the Cup  :'( >:(

That's good you were able to up the performance without losing too much detail.  Hope you're able to fill that with some fun gameplay, too.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Lunchbox

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • BrandNGames
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 12, 02:11:22 PM »

Ya I found the original city map was way to foggy for my taste, but once I moved it back my fps got even worse. I also discovered the power of billboards hehe. Its been so long since I dealt with restricted levels I forgot the old trick of bill boarding everything in the back that the player will never run to.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 12, 04:08:24 PM »

True, billboards are you friend (as long as they are not too close to the camera).  Also, a good use of LOD for models and textures will help.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Lunchbox

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • BrandNGames
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 12, 05:49:17 PM »

Well finally got a custom npc spec and spawner spec working along with the custom systems used to spawn them in world created. At this rate Ill be able to show off some more shots with actual zombies in a few days.

Lunchbox

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • BrandNGames
« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 12, 04:08:54 PM »

As promised, though I wanted to have a bit more zombie stuff in and Ive also revamped the city map quiet a bit.

Lunchbox

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • BrandNGames
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 12, 03:05:01 PM »

Well I decided to take a break from fixing drag and drop inventory to do a bit world building. Ultimately I decided to redo all the zones after the city map. Here is a sneak peak at the Tonopah Desert, its not finished yet but its getting there.

Lunchbox

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • BrandNGames
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 12, 04:28:47 PM »

Time for another update. Finally got a working housing and object placement system in place, though its not persistant. Still haven't made the choice to keep it persistant or not just yet. Also got a node harvesting system working which has turned out to be pretty nice. Hopefully I can show off some gameplay videos but that will have to wait til I get player characters in. However I do have some more shots to show off. Enjoy!

Housing 1

Housing 2 This one is a close up, ya someone got bored.

Housing 2 This one is an example of one of the bigger open areas.

Finally here is a preview of one of the spots ive been working on. Plan to have underground areas tied to it through tunnels and the like.

Thierry

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 12, 10:49:37 AM »

Cool :3