HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Static Character Animation: Skin Weights  (Read 2866 times)

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios
[Resolved] Static Character Animation: Skin Weights
« on: Jul 10, 12, 07:03:39 AM »

The wiki states (Static Characters for Maya, "Skin the Geometry to your Skeleton", http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Static_Characters_for_Maya) that:

"You must have at least 2 joint influencing a vertex. HeroEngine supports up to 4 influences."

It is not possible to have 1 joint influencing a vertex only? For instance, assume some kind of little mechanical doodad with a helicopter rotor on his head.  The joint set up for the rotor section of his head has a bone "bn_rotor" that rotates. Only one joint is necessary to achieve this. The vertices of the rotor blade portion of the mesh only require being influenced by this joint. Adding the joint above it to the hierarchy (the head) would distort the vertices. Adding a second rotor joint to the skeleton that spins in tandem with the first just to have two influence vertices seems redundant.

I should have just tried to export before I posted to see for myself, but must I really have two joints influencing a vertice at all times?

Thanks much

EDIT PS: Oh, and whoever created the maya script that hides all the curves, ik, and locators for me before export, thank you, its awesome!
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 12, 08:43:54 AM by HE-Cooper »

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Static Character Animation: Skin Weights
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 12, 07:51:24 AM »

99.9% of the time most characters will have more than two joints, other was it probably isn't a character and can be made with as a static object. you will have to add a second bone from what I understand. Just make it null and skin it  with zero weighting.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 12, 07:56:04 AM »

Nope.  :)  Well actually yes, A vertex must have at least two.

That statement is somewhat misleading.  Technically, all you have to have is a single vertex per mesh with at least two bones influencing it.  Otherwise the mesh is considered 'rigid' bound when exported.  And the inlfuence it has can be very very very tiny.

The Robot in the FPS demo is done this way, with a hidden or very hard to see vertex on each of the robot's parts weighted about .001 to the parent joint.

It is pretty simple to work it such that it won't have a noticeable effect.

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 12, 11:54:24 AM »

So to make sure i fully grasp this:

If I have a wolf, and the wolf is a single mesh, as long as I have at least one vertex on the mesh with two bones influencing it, I'm ok?  I do have that. There's just areas on the mesh (like the very end of the tail, end of the paws, the nose, ear tips, etc) where I only have one joint influencing the vertices of that portion of the mesh.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 12, 07:52:36 AM »

yup, that should work just fine :)