HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] particle system *solved*  (Read 1725 times)

Drakuel

• World Owners
  • President
    • View Profile
[Resolved] particle system *solved*
« on: Jul 13, 12, 01:59:58 PM »

I have added a emitter and loaded a simple texture to emit.. Everything works fine, except the trails.. When I set the trails it all works in game as I set them, however after logging out or switching areas and going back to that emitter the particles are being emitted just as I set them but trails no longer show.. I can repeat this problem over and over no matter what area or instance of the emitter..
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 12, 08:44:51 AM by HE-Cooper »
Thanks,
Dan Petty
Draconian Studio's LLC

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: particle system
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 12, 02:21:35 PM »

hmm. and you've confirmed that the trail settings are actually persisting in the property window? Is it possible that you've set so many of them, and allowed the particles to exist for so long that it's hitting the cap of like 512 trails or something?

Drakuel

• World Owners
  • President
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 12, 05:22:51 PM »

Yes the settings are persisted in the properties window.. I am unsure on the cap, is there something on wiki about that and how to control that? Right now the particles are just emitting constantly for I have was just testing and have not yet implemented any code calls to pause the emitter..
Thanks,
Dan Petty
Draconian Studio's LLC

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 12, 05:48:42 PM »

Like if you gave them a lifespan of ten minutes. There are many things where the blade eventually just has to protect developers from itself, but unless you've them some crazy lifespan, or are having emitters then emit emitters which emit emitters, you should be good to go.

Are you far away from the particle emitter when you come back to the area and could it be the draw active distance in the emitter property set too low?

Anyways, PM me the area name in your world and I'll check it out.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 12, 06:04:14 PM »

I'm in yer worlds making yer trails. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue. When I looked at the particle you had setup there weren't any colors set on the particle. And I made a test one and travelled back and forth and logged in and out and the trails are still firing. Let me know if there's some repro steps I've missed.

Drakuel

• World Owners
  • President
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 12, 06:19:34 PM »

Thanks for the support. I will check this out and get back with you..

Okay.. Check area test, assest=bookletters.prt..

I have lifetime at 2
Trail color is set and texture..
Trail vertex should be shooting like crazy out the x axis.. I see nothing.. I even paused the emitter and started it again just to ensure I didn't overload something..

Obviously I am doing something wrong , based on your success I just do not know what.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 12, 06:31:33 PM by Drakuel »
Thanks,
Dan Petty
Draconian Studio's LLC

PRatliff

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 12, 10:10:12 PM »

Silly question - you're sure you're doing this in edit instances?

Drakuel

• World Owners
  • President
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 12, 08:25:59 AM »

Yes I created it in edit area mode.. If I have time this weekend I will destroy the emitter and re-create, see if I can get it to work, if not I will keep track of my steps and present them here for support. Keep in mind when I first created the emitter, the trails were working, once I left than came back they were gone and have yet to return..

In any case support is not able to reproduce so I need to track exactly what I am doing for them and see if I can get it to break again, than provide them the results..
Thanks,
Dan Petty
Draconian Studio's LLC

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 12, 10:38:13 AM »

I see trails on the particle effect in the test area, so you may be up against some local cache corruption if you still don't see them. If you don't see any errors in the console, then maybe manually redownload the png you're using for the trail.

Drakuel

• World Owners
  • President
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 12, 02:22:19 PM »

Wow, yeah it does not show on my client and no errors relating to the emitter in console.. Interesting, obviously I have a cache issue than.. Thanks for checking and the support..
Thanks,
Dan Petty
Draconian Studio's LLC

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 12, 03:48:27 PM »

Let me know if you don't get it sorted out, there's always a slim chance that it's not an LRC problem, and is a hardware problem. But next step if you can't get it sorted is to clear your LRC.

Drakuel

• World Owners
  • President
    • View Profile
Re: particle system *Solved*
« Reply #11 on: Jul 15, 12, 08:38:38 AM »

Cooper,

Fixing the cache worked.. I must of corrupted the cache at some point.. I do recall crashing the client a ways back due to bad code.. That is probably when it happened.. Thanks for the tip.. I found the wiki on the cache and how to clear the LRC, so if I have strange rendering issues again I can follow this now.. I have marked the thread solved..
Thanks,
Dan Petty
Draconian Studio's LLC