HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Art for Static Character Importing Instructions (MAYA)  (Read 2353 times)

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios
Art for Static Character Importing Instructions (MAYA)
« on: Jul 10, 12, 10:11:54 AM »

Hello,

I am having difficulty grasping the process of importing a static character and its animations from Maya into the Hero Engine. I have read through the wiki's several articles on it but find myself unable to grasp the presentation.

I am a 3d modeller with a good grasp of static asset creation for the hero engine and with intermediate character modelling abilities. My experience comes from another engine that has a more "drag and drop" approach to importing assets (but is poorer in other ways) so the learning curve for HE is steeper than I expected.

I am including links to some of my work below as examples of what I can do. If anyone can assist me with the process of exporting a static character, exporting the animations for a static character, and then getting them into the Hero Engine, I'll trade artwork for it. PM me to negotiate. I am using maya 2012.

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 12, 11:30:41 AM by ronalmb »

Cyrius

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Art for Static Character Importing Instructions (MAYA)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 12, 01:36:47 PM »

You can't animate static assets. You have to export your assets with the good category.

Look in the wiki for animated assets.

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios
Re: Art for Static Character Importing Instructions (MAYA)
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 12, 09:23:38 PM »

Would you be referring to this wiki here? http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Static_Character

It's all about exporting static characters, which you can animate.   Static Characters are different from static assets, which I already know how to handle.

At any rate, i've had a lot of good help from folks in getting my Static Character animated wolf into the engine. He's running around now, happy as can be, roaming the grassy plains.

Thanks for your advice tho.