HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Directory Structures Locally and in the Repo Matter  (Read 3364 times)

Narvakhan

• Developers
    • View Profile

Can I get a simple example of how the directory should look on the blade.  I have gone through the tutorials and something about my brain just doesn't wrap around this.

I am using 3ds Max Design 2012.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 12, 08:41:41 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Art Pipeline driving me nuts
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 12, 02:14:25 PM »

The directory structure in the repo browser doesn't matter, it's just that you need a matching one locally, because models need to know where their textures are.

If you've used the auto installers for Max and the repo, then you'll end up with

C:\HeroEngine\ArtDepot\HE\...

That HE folder matches to your HE folder in the repo. So when you export from max you've exported to

C:\HeroEngine\ArtDepot\HE\MyAwesomeStuff\MyModel.hgm

And then you either just sync, or manually move your local assets to the repository browser at

HE\MyAwesomeStuff\MyModel.hgm

But what I suspect you're not realizing is the relationship of exporting a model that knows its texture information. Since most new devs have only had to make models and textures on their local machine, they don't realize that the relative path to the texture matters.

So try this, keeping the theme of above. Put your textures, MyTexture.dds, into C:\HeroEngine\ArtDepot\HE\MyAwesomeStuff\

Now open Max, make your model, add the hero material, and map the diffuse to that MyTexture.dds, then export your model to C:\HeroEngine\ArtDepot\HE\MyAwesomeStuff\ just like your texture.

Now open your repo, make the folder MyAwesomeStuff in your repo, drag your model and MyTexture.dds into that folder, and you should be good.

Narvakhan

• Developers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 12, 03:46:19 PM »

I think I understand that point.  Perhaps my problem is I am not actually using the C drive as I use a different drive for storage?  Or am I reading too much into it?

COEDude

• World Owners
  • "All your bases are belong to us..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 12, 04:29:56 PM »

As I have come to understand this, the modeling app you are using is what needs to know where these files are, so that the exporter can send the appropriate paths to the repository. So the actual drive letter is really irrelevant. You could set the local file structure to the Z drive if you want, as long as the file names are the same, and the folders within your local repository structure match the ones on the hero engine repository.

So when you texture something in Max, or create a model, make sure you pull the texture file from the local repository folder, and NOT anywhere else, because when the exporter send the information to the HE repository, it will not know where to find it.

This is kind of confusing, I know it took me several days to get used to storing the DDS textures within the local file structure.

What got me past this was changing my output folder for (i use maya) maya to send my models directly to C:\HeroEngine\ArtDepot\HE\World\livecontent\(models or textures)...

If you haven't set your output folders to be the same as mine it doesn't matter, as long as they are exactly the same in both places.

One more tip, I am not used to working with DDS files, so I am having to convert everything to that format as I use it. So when I do that, I make a habit of storing that file inside a folder called textures on my local drive i.e C:\HeroEngine\ArtDepot\HE\World\livecontent\textures. And as I texture models within Maya, I make sure I am using THAT file and not the original. Makes it easier to follow the file structure IMO.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 12, 04:41:53 PM by COEDude »

WoE-Anthony

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 12, 03:35:36 AM »

COEDude is correct, I had this trouble too...LOL...and it was so simple. Do your texture folders in the local drive you have your art pipeline in, then call the textures up FROM there into Max, or Maya. It will confuse a bit, but you will get used to it.

Here is a quick example of what I use in my cloned drive for Hero. Hope it helps a little

cheers Bullet
We are coming at ya!

Narvakhan

• Developers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 12, 01:08:17 PM »

Thank you gents, that helped tremendously.  About to check to see if I have it worked out :)

Narvakhan

• Developers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 12, 02:55:11 PM »

I missed something but I was able to get my file from 3ds max to the repository, so forward movement of some kind :)

I am getting this error when I synchronize:

"Unable to locate the internal request corresponding to a directory to synchronize"

EDIT: "was able to solve my problems by making the directories match"
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 12, 05:42:23 PM by HE-Cooper »