HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Learning HSL  (Read 3108 times)

Danatoth

• World Owners
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Learning HSL
« on: Aug 14, 12, 12:15:27 AM »

Hi all. So in my project I am 3d modeling and world building, but would also like to get my hands dirty in  the world of scripting. I took a few courses in C++ back in college, but that is the only experience I have with programming.
I was wondering if I would do more damage than good by attempting to learn HSL, or if I should just wait to find a programmer and continue only modeling?
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 12, 09:58:57 AM by HE-Cooper »

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: Learning HSL
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 12, 02:39:43 AM »

It wouldn't hurt to cross-train to have a bit of understanding of coding while you are looking for a programmer.

That being said, if you don't already have a team, you might consider joining an existing one.  There are many groups already and many are recruiting.
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 12, 02:42:08 AM by ScottZarnke »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

RogerD

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 12, 12:21:20 PM »

It wouldn't hurt to cross-train to have a bit of understanding of coding while you are looking for a programmer.

That being said, if you don't already have a team, you might consider joining an existing one.  There are many groups already and many are recruiting.

It's true.  Seems like everyone's looking for artists.  I don't know why they don't earn three times as much as programmers, considering how hard they are to find.  Maybe they just like their day jobs more, so you don't get so many hobbyists doing side projects.

I do feel like HSL is lacking a lot of good coding tutorials.  There's a ton of stuff out there, but the problem I had with it was that there were so many unfamiliar terms introduced all at once that I spent days and days chasing down hyperlinks to figure out what DOMS and GOMs and associations were before I could even do anything, and I'm an experienced C++ programmer.  Maybe if I ever feel like I understand more than half of HeroEngine, I'll write a series of tutorials which introduce each concept one bit at a time without being so overwhelming.

Caldenfor

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 12, 01:43:01 PM »

The issue with joining an existing team, for me at least, is the level of qualifications generally required before helping and finding a project that you can put your heart and soul into. I will be spending my time trying to get better acquainted with Hero Engine, and HSL as well, while waiting for the right opportunity to come along, or until I grow confident enough to recruit for my hobby project that is simple with plenty of room to grow.

Danatoth

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 12, 03:09:25 PM »

The issue for joining an existing team for me is that I got the engine because I had an an idea, one that I brought to fruition of a few months in the form of a game doc. There is a specific game I want to make and have made the idea available to the public. I just can't seem to find anyone that messages me about joining other than "World Builders", and let's be honest, that is really the easiest part of the entire process. I can easily handle that myself while also modeling.

I guess I really just don't know where to find people interested at this point. I've been posting on game design forums, indie forums, and mmorpg forums but to no avail. I like to preface my recruitment threads by acknowledging the time and effort required to produce an MMO but still most of the replies are just people belittling me for thinking that I can make one.

So at this point 90% of my effort is just going to making basic models that won't need any concept art. Hopefully I can find some people that are interested in my design.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 12, 03:13:17 PM »

In the professional game development sphere there are far more artists than engineers, and while the independant game dev community has some very experienced and professional engineers, the ratio of engineers to artists is 10 to one, and it comes down to 1 simple reasons. You can fake / hack your way through scripting, but you can't fake art. If you're a talented artist in the indie community, just make art, keep making art. Once you have great looking assets in a beautiful world, then engineers will flock to you, or larger more advanced teams will bring you on board.

DragonFist

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 12, 03:21:25 PM »

I wouldn't dismiss world builders off-hand.  True, it is the easiest part of the whole thing; however, to create a great game, there is a lot of world to build.

I'm not currently looking for any because I've decided to get everything set up first.  I want to know how to do everything and I want to have the majority of the building blocks in place.

But once I have that in place, I know that I'll need a lot of world builders, 3D asset creators and one or two HSL scripters get the project finished.

It is my plan to simply know what needs doing and be able to give instructions a monkey could follow to people that have a clue what they are doing at that point.  I never want to depend on the expertise of others but have a project that experts would love to work on because it is easy to work on.

Valion310

• World Owner
    • View Profile
    • Expansion:  Rise of Humanity
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 12, 12:11:46 PM »

I feel the same about HSL in that it is a bit overwhelming.  I've got a tiny amount of C++ experience, enough to probably trip my way through.  But I definitly think learning as much as possible is a priority worth putting max effort into.  If I am to bring on a full crew I guess I have a few things in mind so they'll be attracted to joining, and that is centered on a good looking game world that is in a later stage of development, a good system of functionality, and a sound game concept that they can see in action to some extent.

What I'm affraid of is bringing a scripter on board and have him monkey with the system and I have no clue what he's actually doing or its effects.  Guess until I feel like I can understand changes, I dont trust anyone with the game engine.

For my HSL learning curve, Im starting with characters and getting the static and dynamics wired in and working.  After that some GUI, and then hopefully getting the first iteration of combat up.  Im going to cut little tiny pieces of the steak off and chew it ... lol  :)

Valion
Game Manager & Director
Prowler Art Studio

"Failure is not an option......"