HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved| Area and Room Description  (Read 2621 times)

VincentH

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved| Area and Room Description
« on: Apr 14, 11, 05:35:28 PM »

I just wanted to get this straight in my head, I haven't come across anything in my readings yet that help me understand their specific rolls.

Would you all describe an 'Area' as a specific map found somewhere in your game?  And a 'Room' something like a sub area within that map like a dungeon?

If so, what are the advantages of organizing places within your game in this way?  From what I can see they both occupy the same space and generally interfere with each other.  Can someone think of a good example where I might want to organizing zones of my game in this way?

Maybe I just have a completely skewed understanding of how to use them, I don't know.

Vince
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 12, 10:38:57 PM by HE-Cooper »
Vincent Hallberg
vince@modusinternet.com

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: Area and Room Description
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 11, 06:57:45 PM »

As far as rooms go, they are not really regions, per se.  Instead it is simply a collection of rendered objects.  When a room is activated, it means the things in that room will be rendered (pending visibility).  If deactivated, the things in it cease to be rendered.  So, perhaps "room" is an unfortunate choice of word, but then I couldn't think of something better to call it anyway.  Basically, rooms are a way to be able to control what is rendered at a given location in the map, rather than having everything in the area rendered all the time.

Activation is determined by camera location and what thing(s) it is over.  If room 1 has things A, B, and C  in it, anytime the camera is over A, B, or C, room 1 is activated and all three things will be rendered.  As soon as the camera moves to where it is no longer over any of the three, the room is deactivated and none of them get rendered. I am not sure of vertical limitations of determining what the camera is over; I believe generally it is the X and Z of its position that matters and not so much the Y.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.