HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Real Time/Twitch Combat Possible? MMO and HERO Engine  (Read 2714 times)

Unkillable

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

hello guys i need to ask some serious questions about the hero engines capability to allow a more real time/ twitch based combat system within the scope of an MMO title/ MMO game.

I do understand the question is quite broad and not very narrowed down. i wanted to give you guys a little info on what i would be trying to achieve. i want to make a PvP based mmo, with player housing, no real NPCs, where the world is driven by PvP combat (open world) and the progression is based on player housing advancement.

I would love to use the hero engine to develop my game, i would actually be exited to do so. my question is; can you guys give me some details about the limitations of a more real time combat system? Is it possible with proper knowledge of HSL? what would be my hurdles? by real time i simply mean, left mouseclick to attack and maybe right mouse to block, with a cooldown on the block, then maybe implementing some more, upon key press abilities with a more responsive gameplay mechanic.

if anyone could help me understand more about hero and its capabilities in these areas i would be in your debt.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 12, 09:43:36 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Real Time/Twitch Combat Possible? MMO and HERO Engine
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 12, 08:46:58 PM »

Hi Unkill,

I'm not exactly sure if I understand what you're asking. Can you click a button in the HeroEngine and have an animation play? Yes.

What you need to think about is how you plan to implement collision detection, client prediction, etc. there are dozens of threads on the forums discussing various aspects of mmo FPS implementations and the various complexities of client to server interaction.

I would recommend hiring an engineer for your team, or joining up and practicing your game development chops on a team that already has engineers.

Bullstrike

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 12, 03:08:08 AM »

Hi Unkill,

I'm not exactly sure if I understand what you're asking. Can you click a button in the HeroEngine and have an animation play? Yes.

What you need to think about is how you plan to implement collision detection, client prediction, etc. there are dozens of threads on the forums discussing various aspects of mmo FPS implementations and the various complexities of client to server interaction.

I would recommend hiring an engineer for your team, or joining up and practicing your game development chops on a team that already has engineers.

Hello HE-Cooper,

we're not talking about a MMOFPS we are talking about collision detection combat system capabilities
in a MMORPG. As a reference Tera uses a similiar combat system then what we have seen in Funcoms AoC.
They bypass the hurdles of client/server relations by extending unvisible extensions to i.E swords to make
the player feel like he hits something if he touches the enemy hitbox.

Our design needs a more advanced system that is able to predict/detect and response to a hitting event.

So to comeback at the question: Hero engine targets MMORPG's and the combat in the most games of that
type do not focus on such a combat system. Other Engine's focus more on Combat but with the downside
of being limited to player number or the lack of a network supporting system for the engine. Do you see a
way to get the positive aspects of both? (Using Hero engine and being able to use combat systems of other
engines).

Thank you for your feedback

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 12, 06:22:22 AM »

Hi Unkill,

I think you're fundamentall misunderstanding the question. Our engine doesn't focus on any type of combat, it makes online games. Other engines make single player games.

You can implement any type of combat you'd like, but with an online game you will always be up against client to server communication speed and latency. Most games never bother, online or offline, with the specific hit detection you describe, since most players can't tell in a first person view if the combat is even doing what they think it's doing. Further complicated by the need for a procedural animation system in order to actually make it work.

Either way, you would decide how you want to handle client prediction and trust. Our FPS reference obviously uses real time hit detection for the rifle and has a vector hit arc associated with the axe swing, but we're letting the client have a very high level of trust. Before implementing any combat system I would first get a programmer on your team, have them read the combat overview on the wiki, and then have them start dissecting all the ins and outs of client to server communication.

Trixer

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 12, 11:33:33 PM »

We have chatted in depth about what you want alot on these forums, please use the search button. All the answers, problems, and headaches you will want are there!
Lead Programmer and Technical Engineer for Harmonex Neuro Science Research Inc.