HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: particle system middleware  (Read 2527 times)

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
particle system middleware
« on: Sep 18, 12, 01:23:39 AM »

Hi!

Does anyone know of a particle system middelware solutions that i could use with heroblade?
Some equivalent of WorldMachine for terrain, but only for particle effects like explosions, snow, lasers, bullets etc.

Cheers!

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: particle system middleware
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 12, 04:13:49 AM »

I am pretty sure there is no built-in support for such a thing.  Theoretically, since there is the extension mechanism for connecting to client-side external code in a dll one might be able to right your own access to something external, but I have no idea.

For the most part, you need to design the particles and emitters in HeroBlade.  Our team has found it not too difficult to use and it uses the same typical settings of particles and emitters used by any other system.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 12, 05:54:32 AM »

Our team has found it not too difficult to use and it uses the same typical settings of particles and emitters used by any other system.

perhaps you know of an "other system" that has a large number of out of the box particle effects (possibly free)? If there is, my intention would be more in the line of porting this other system particles and emitters manually into HeroBlade.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 12, 06:59:37 AM by AWW_boss »

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 12, 12:07:55 PM »

porting this other system particles and emitters manually into HeroBlade
I don't believe that can be done unless you have the source license.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Lunchbox

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • BrandNGames
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 12, 01:00:19 AM »

If I understand correctly. I think hes talking manually porting over the settings not actually porting over the application. But to be honest that's twice as much work as just using the hero system. Not only do you have to learn the other application settings but you then have to figure out what settings in HE = the settings in the other app. While the HE particle editing method isn't ideal for some there is quiet a bit of documentation and examples in HJ to come up with some pretty cool looking ones.
I think he is also looking for already made up particles that he could port over to. But again that's more work then its worth if you ask me. I can say there are a ton of particles in HJ in some of the different areas might be worth a look.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 12, 01:15:12 AM »

If I understand correctly. I think hes talking manually porting over the settings not actually porting over the application. But to be honest that's twice as much work as just using the hero system. Not only do you have to learn the other application settings but you then have to figure out what settings in HE = the settings in the other app. While the HE particle editing method isn't ideal for some there is quiet a bit of documentation and examples in HJ to come up with some pretty cool looking ones.
I think he is also looking for already made up particles that he could port over to. But again that's more work then its worth if you ask me. I can say there are a ton of particles in HJ in some of the different areas might be worth a look.

Yes, that's exactly what i was trying to say. Thanks for your input.