HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Change area size  (Read 1152 times)

accountkillercom

• World Owners
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Change area size
« on: Sep 18, 12, 08:05:36 PM »

I tried searching on the forums, but including "area" in the search brings up way too many false positives, so I'm creating a new thread.

How do you change or set the size of an area.  I've the topic mentioned before, on how 256x256 is recommended, etc, but I can't find the actual location for those settings.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 12, 08:47:57 AM by HE-Cooper »

Lunchbox

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • BrandNGames
Re: Change area size
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 12, 08:19:12 PM »

The size of an area is relative. Last I checked the 256 recomendation is based on gameplay area size not actual area size. The size of the area is based on what ever you decide and where ever you place the objects. For example some of my areas are huge but only due to the far off objects that the player can see but never get to, the actual play area is way smaller though.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 12, 08:21:06 PM »

Correct, An area is a volume that contains things. A heightmap is a thing in an area, and it somewhat arbitrarily is what we recommend sizing for based on common types of game simulation.

accountkillercom

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 12, 08:58:57 PM »

OK, that makes more sense.  So the recommend "max" area size of around 256x256 is actually talking about the heightmap portion, meaning the area that a player could move around in.  Beyond that heightmap area of 256x256, you could also place things like billboards and buildings or something to make the world appear larger from the player's point of view, correct?

Assuming I'm not totally off base, is there an advantage or disadvantage to setting up your heightmap grid with any of the 4 "Preferred Size" options?  It looks like just more than one way to skin a cat, but I don't know if there are performance advantages with setting them up a certain way.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 12, 09:45:06 AM »

As with all art. More things but smaller = easier to LOD, easier to occlude, more draw calls. Fewer things but larger = fewer draw calls, harder to LOD, harder to occlude.