HeroEngine Support > Scripting & Programming

[Resolved] In engine cut scenes

(1/3) > >>

cheyennecloud:
What would be the most ideal way to do an in engine, script controlled cut scene?  Or is it even practical? 

HE-CHRISTOPHER:

--- Quote from: cheyennecloud on Jul 08, 10, 11:32:18 PM ---What would be the most ideal way to do an in engine, script controlled cut scene?  Or is it even practical? 

--- End quote ---

The typical way to do this is to set up a path, set up a pathfollower on a b-spline, and then attach a camera to it.   At each waypoint you have the opportunity to instruct the camera in a variety of ways, look at something specific, zoom, roll, etc.  Depending on your needs, you may do this in a gameplay area itself or an alternate area with a more specialized setup.

https://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Waypoint_Paths
https://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Camera_commands

~Christopher

cheyennecloud:
Let's say I set up an area or areas to serve as cutscene hosts.  Since cutscenes are basically independent play for each client and really should be as much client-based as possible, how would I set it up to minimize resources on the server as much as possible?  Spawning an instance for each client to view so they would have their independent viewing seems like it would be a lot of overhead.  Am I way off track here?

HE-CHRISTOPHER:

--- Quote from: cheyennecloud on Jul 09, 10, 08:43:16 AM ---Let's say I set up an area or areas to serve as cutscene hosts.  Since cutscenes are basically independent play for each client and really should be as much client-based as possible, how would I set it up to minimize resources on the server as much as possible?  Spawning an instance for each client to view so they would have their independent viewing seems like it would be a lot of overhead.  Am I way off track here?

--- End quote ---

An area handling a cutscene would reasonably be expected to handle many many users simultaneously as the server is doing very little.  The main difference would be that you would modify the area to not introduce users to each other (i.e. no replication would be initiated for user A's character to user B's client).  In this fashion you could have hundreds of characters standing on top of each other, and each user's client would be ignorant of the fact that they existed...knowing only about their own character and other things you introduce.

~Christopher

cheyennecloud:
How would it work for NPCs acting in the cutscene?  Would each client get their own set of NPCs?

Thanks for all the useful info!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version