HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Animated (spinning) advertisement signs  (Read 3863 times)

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
[Resolved] Animated (spinning) advertisement signs
« on: Sep 28, 12, 03:32:25 PM »

Hi all. Just wondering what would be the best and least resource intensive method of getting something like this ingame.

Basically our city is going to be lit up like christmas. We are aiming to have holographic(seethrough) advertisements and billboards dotted around the main streets.

Also how would i go about making some text scroll along on one of these electronic neon signs. And how would i go about making one of these signs spin in a 360 degrees on the spot?

If someone knows of a way of doing any of this without having to code something, i would be highly appreciative.
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 12, 01:16:01 PM by HE-Cooper »

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: Animated (spinning) advertisement signs
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 12, 05:39:48 PM »

Billboards are the way to go about that.  They are flat rectangles that can display either a solid color or a texture, complete with UV settings for the texture.  They can have their rotation set if your set their orientation axis to None, allowing them to be rotated.

For scrolling text, you could either have the text on a texture and change the UVs over time, or create GUI(s) with the text on them and create a billboard from the gui, then animate the text of the gui.

Be careful with alpha transparency; when two or more transparent things overlap in the view from the camera, there can be artifacts where the one in back is rendered on top, making it look wrong.  That is an inherent limitation of any engine, as it is difficult to always sort it correctly in that case.  So try to have transparent things always appearing in front of things that are not transparent. This specifically applies to alpha blending, not necessarily alpha masking.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 12, 05:44:18 PM by ScottZarnke »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 12, 05:50:30 PM »

I suppose another approach would be to do it on a more macro level using model(s).  For instance, to do that picture, you might create a model for the corner building, put different textures on it, and have certain parts rotate.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 12, 06:23:22 PM »

Can a billboard be made to hover in mid air, bob up and down and spin around by itself automatically? Like a futuristic antigravity signpost.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 12, 07:02:21 PM »

And then beyond all that the sky is pretty much the limit. You could do particle effects, or the FX system, or make animated static models to bounce the signs while using scrolling UVs on the models themselves.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 12, 10:06:55 AM »

So i should animate the texture by making the U or V move at different speeds?

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 12, 10:09:10 AM »

Ive only been using max for a couple of months now, so having to learn all this was kinda daunting. But fun. Ive done virtually no work on mapping as of yet so thats another aspect of max im going to have to master before i can put some nice looking animated things ingame.