HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Terrain -> Dynamic Details -> Mesh navigation issue  (Read 1227 times)

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios

Hello, I want to add a mesh of my own creation to place using the Dynamic Details -> Mesh tab in the terrain window. If i click on an empty line, it takes me to a Select Mesh window, but I am unable to navigate folders to where my asset it.

I looked through my HE File structures and I do see a Dynamic Details folder under Worlds -> LiveContent. Inside it is a Mesh folder. Do i need to copy my assets there somehow? Does this mean that if i had a grass model that I wanted to place individually as well as through dynamic detail, i would need to have a duplicate asset for it?

Thanks much.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 12, 11:27:21 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Terrain -> Dynamic Details -> Mesh navigation issue
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 12, 06:31:32 AM »

I don't remember the meshes requiring a folder structure, but they might, have you placed your hgm in a folder or subfolder with other dynamic detail meshes and had it show up?

ronalmb

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • ThinkPlay Studios
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 12, 10:06:08 AM »

Hello, If i place a copy of my .hgm mesh into the dynamic detail folder with the other meshes, I can dynamically place them so that part works. My question is whether there is a way to navigate through the folders from the Dynamic Details-> Mesh tab so I can select an .hgm from a different folder to use.

As it stands, right now I can only select items in the dynamic detail folder. The tab offers no interface to navigate to other folders that I can find. Does it exist and I just cannot locate it?

Thanks much.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 12, 10:22:07 AM »

No, you are not crazy, that's the way it is. I honestly can't remember if it's for technical reasons, or just because the cloud doesn't have access to the master control console to be able to change the directory.

But it's a reasonable question about the "having the hgm in two places". I'll have to ask if there is any reason not to do that, or if the engine would be optimizing those identical files. Which I suspect it won't, and will treat them as unique.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 12, 09:16:58 AM »

Queuing up for an answer

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 12, 11:25:00 AM »

here is a workaround for that:

go to CREATE>LOAD ASSET, browse to your repo folder, now click the yellow star, it will mark it as a favorite. now go to the dynamic detail mesh panel, click slot, and select the favorites location from the yellow star. enjoy.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 12, 11:27:05 AM »

ah, good work around!

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: [Resolved] Terrain -> Dynamic Details -> Mesh navigation issue
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 12, 05:22:47 PM »

Looking this over now, I think this may have been resolved by a previous engine update, as the browse window opened up from clicking the empty Meshes line allows browsing the whole repo as long as "Use Foundation Framework" is unchecked.  I'm guessing that checkbox is new.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.