HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Discrepency between HeroEngine Viewer and in game assets  (Read 1088 times)

Ceraph1216

• World Owners
    • View Profile

Hello, I'm having some issues getting my assets to appear correctly in HeroEngine and I'm not entirely sure what is causing the problem. When I inspect the .hgm files in the HeroEngine Viewer everything looks like it should, but when I load them into the actual HeroEngine I get some odd culling issues (faces disappearing behind faces that they should be in front of). I have checked the normals on all of the models in 3DS Max and there are no inverted normals. I have attached screenshots of some of the assets in game vs how they appear in the HeroEngine Viewer.

Anyone encounter anything like this or have thoughts on what could be causing this? I followed the tutorials on the wiki, but here is a quick rundown of the things I have already checked for:

- all of the file paths to textures in materials are relative to the HE\ folder structure
- all materials are Hero materials
- all textures are .dds
- characters have proper .dat and .aas files set up (character animates in game, the only problem is the disappearing faces.)
- there are no errors in the console window

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 12, 01:16:55 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Discrepency between HeroEngine Viewer and in game assets
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 12, 11:26:30 AM »

The HeroViewer doesn't render alpha. It looks like you are using an alpha blend on those assets, and alpha blends arbitrarily sort with other alphas. Use an alpha mask or an alpha test and you should be fine.

Ceraph1216

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 12, 04:49:31 PM »

that seems to have done the trick, but I notice that planes are still only visible from one side. Is this just how they are rendered or is there something I should specify?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 12, 05:14:40 PM »

you need to have normals on both sides, 2 sided polys.

grogbro

• World Owners
  • ZOMBIES! YAY! RUN!!
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 12, 08:17:21 PM »

I agree with Cooper there on the doubling up and flipping of your polys to make it double sided. Typically even if an engine had a double sided option I still just make the flipped polys since that's what the engine is doing for you anyways (as far as I know, which isn't much!).

As far as the weirdness with your polys it seems like some of your normals are flipped. First make sure you right click your object and go to Object Properties and select Backface culling, this should show you what's really going on. Second you should try to Reset Xforms (collapse stack), and if anything on the object looks weird, select the polygon(s) and Flip. Also, make sure if you are combining a bunch of objects, say to make that house, you detach and check out each one individually with the options I mentioned above.

Third, try this:

Max - Box clearout (just my naming for it)

- Create a Box (anywhere in your scene)
- make it Editable Mesh (right click your object, or in the Modifier stack)
- Click Align button (uptop along main button bars), make sure to check pivot/pivot xyz, hit Ok (align the box to your original mesh)
- attach Box to your Object
- select by element (4), delete Box

This makes your Object adopt all the transforms of the Primitive Box, basically Zeroing all the transforms out.

Also, check your Smoothing Groups ;) But you've probably tried that. Hope this helps, between these things I usually find stuff wrong with my model.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 12, 08:20:12 PM by grogbro »