HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Model detail poly/verts and performance  (Read 1792 times)

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
[Resolved] Model detail poly/verts and performance
« on: Oct 01, 12, 08:22:53 PM »

Yo, so ive been trundling along making a bunch of city segments. Ive taken peoples advice on the boards and have tried keeping the number of polys and verts down to as low as they can be while actually having something that is more than just a box for a building.

Just wondering if 30k polys and verts for a 1kmx1km city square, populated with multiple "fairly" detailed buildings and tons of props is a decent ammount. The play area seems to be pretty massive for "only" 30k polys. The plan is to contruct our massive dystopian city out of these large city grids, connected with multiple walkways, skyways, monorail and subway systems.

I will take into account that its a very good idea to chop the city up into smaller pieces when possible using seamless areas and rooms, also with good occluder placement.

It seems that my fps drops from 166 down to a minimum of 160 when viewing the entire city of about 100 models (without any occluders). The only time my fps drops by 20-40 fps is when i have some reflective water (double rendering).
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 12, 11:01:43 AM by HE-Cooper »

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Model detail poly/verts and performance
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 12, 04:19:38 PM »

As stated in the wiki, stay away from reflective water (mirror). It' doubles poly count and draw calls , use river or ocean.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 12, 06:01:15 PM »

Guild wars 2 is making smart decisions in these types of realms, now obviously the entire renderer is rewritten in sapphire, but for instance, guild wars 2 only sets a small amount of noticeable objects to be reflected in reflective water. Those numbers also change based on graphical settings, and they make those decisions on a region by region basis.

There's no magic bullets, just elbow grease and deciding what machine spec you want to be able to run on.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 12, 07:19:58 PM »

Right, trial and error in world building is probably how its allways gonna be done. Ill start low detail at first and if i find that my shitty test machines can handle it, ill be adding in more details to my exported meshes.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 12, 07:21:02 PM »

As stated in the wiki, stay away from reflective water (mirror). It' doubles poly count and draw calls , use river or ocean.

Surely its ok to use it in some small degree. The strange thing about the river and ocean water, is that its just a solid blue colour for me. Is it supposed to be like that?

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 12, 10:14:09 AM »

Surely its ok to use it in some small degree. The strange thing about the river and ocean water, is that its just a solid blue colour for me. Is it supposed to be like that?

Need to tweak the attributes, Cooper has a thread on water properties. It's up to the artist rather or not they want to use it, just letting those know what the wiki says, only recommends using it as a mirror in a room. Understand a mirror plane doubles your environment not matter how big or small the mirror plane is. In Our environments it's like an 50 FPS drop, not worth it imo, but that's us.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 12, 12:29:24 AM by Stadi_Thompson »

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 12, 12:22:15 AM »

Guild wars 2 is making smart decisions in these types of realms, now obviously the entire renderer is rewritten in sapphire, but for instance, guild wars 2 only sets a small amount of noticeable objects to be reflected in reflective water. Those numbers also change based on graphical settings, and they make those decisions on a region by region basis.

There's no magic bullets, just elbow grease and deciding what machine spec you want to be able to run on.

After looking into this it is the Speedtrees and the dynamic detail mirroring that is really killing the FPS, Speedtrees mainly. If Speedtree 6 has an option to turn off reflections, mirror would be very usable in our world. Cooper do you know if Speedtree 6 has the enable/disable reflections as well? Also would be nice to not have dynamic detail render in mirror (or have an option), really no need to as you don't see the ground in most situations. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 12, 12:33:21 AM by Stadi_Thompson »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 12, 05:54:52 PM »

The properties panel has a reflectivity setting for all assets, does it now work for speed trees? We'll add when we can the ability to turn off reflectivity for dynamic details if there isn't currently a way to do it. Pretty much everything should have a toggle for reflective.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 12, 07:47:04 PM »

Yeah no option for speedtree unfortunately, hoping to see it in future builds.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 12, 11:01:31 AM »

We've added them to the todo list.