HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: 9thMagic  (Read 2464 times)

9ThMagic

• World Owners
    • View Profile
9thMagic
« on: Oct 26, 12, 04:44:15 PM »

9thMagic by Fantasy Playground :

Game unites Technology and Magic, and i don't really want to go to much into storyline at this stage, since we focusing on one point and working our way outwards...

We just signed up with Hero a week ago, We are a team of 12 that have worked together for almost 4 years on a previous project, mostly game emulators and so forth... but all the while we have been speaking about making a game of our own, and in all honesty I am glad we waited 3 years, the experience we gained from starting small and working through the pressure and patience has taught us a lot... I have to admit tho, our strength lies more in coding than it does in designing, and this was a great concern for me and another reason I wasn't so keen to jump onto the "lets create our own game" band wagon. But after discovering this engine, what it can do and how it can turn a weakness into a strength, i was pretty much sold.

So after just 5 days since we joined here is some footage of 9th Magic, the first bit of map work we have done, its not much, but its a start ...

We are just working on terrain at the moment, the tents in the clip is plainly there for show, we will replace them with our own models, and the grey-white gravel you see are markers for important items or models that need to be placed or made :

9th Magic - Gold Mine - Early Terrain Creation.

I will post more footage as we go along, our lore is based on a very big world, which is another concern for us, but we taking it one map at a time ...

Feel free to comment, maybe give some pointers, we welcome any input.

« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 04:46:42 PM by 9ThMagic »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: 9thMagic
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 12, 04:50:47 PM »

Hi 9th Magic, we're holding this board (show us your game) for games at a stage to show off their own art or engineering, so as such I'm moving this to the tell us about your game forums.

Also, make sure you check out the video I have up on making a HeroEngine world in 45 minutes, and specifically check out the smoothing and erosion tools on the wiki to smooth out and make those walls and mountains look more realistic.

9ThMagic

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 12, 05:12:30 AM »

Hi 9th Magic, we're holding this board (show us your game) for games at a stage to show off their own art or engineering, so as such I'm moving this to the tell us about your game forums.

Also, make sure you check out the video I have up on making a HeroEngine world in 45 minutes, and specifically check out the smoothing and erosion tools on the wiki to smooth out and make those walls and mountains look more realistic.

I actualy did have them like that before, but its a gold pit/mine, so the gold has to shine through in the walls and so forth, that is why i gave it a very rigid look and golden shine. I may add some more rocks and randomness tho.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 12, 03:00:16 AM »

good luck to you. one piece od advice though, your terrain modelling guys should check out a few tutorials on making some realistic terrain. just plonking down some heightmaps and randomly dragging around the terrain editing tools doesnt make good looking areas.

i dont wanna sound overly critical, but remember to practice practice practice.

9ThMagic

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 12, 09:10:16 AM »

Here is an updated clip of the gold-pit Mountain.

I have managed to make the cave like entrance for the mine ( still work in progress ), made the mountain side look bit more realistic, added some details to the sides of the PIT, added better textures overhaul, Added a river and a lake, started working on the terrain above. We should be finished with this area in the next week or so.

Keep in mind this is a Brown/gold Dull looking area, it is written in the lore as lots of slopes and mounds. the little bit of green we are adding is plainly close to the farm houses, after that even the grass for most parts will be yellow/brown color.

Stitching is another problem, even if you fit the maps close as possible, you can still see the stitches sometime, i' still trying to find a solution for this.

Clip Link : http://youtu.be/gsfzctIoMn4

We need to make a waterfall on the side of the mountain tho, if anyone can point us to a tutorial or guide to making a long drop waterfall i would greatly appreciate it. Or any advise on waterfalls would help us greatly.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 12, 10:33:34 AM »

It still looks really jagged and unrealistic imo. But then its not my project so what do i know hehe. You should watch some of the HE teams videos on sculpting terrain.

9ThMagic

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 12, 04:01:31 PM »

our storyline is based on layers of magic, and on top of that the earth has gone through massive seismic damage , we aren't really going for the realistic look. the whole planet must look like its been through hell.

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 12, 09:22:00 AM »

Look into the Soften Tool, but change the option to one of the Erosion types.  Play around with the Strength and that could give you a nice rocky look.