HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [] tips on remote character flicker problem  (Read 1334 times)

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
[] tips on remote character flicker problem
« on: Oct 28, 12, 04:52:30 AM »

I have a problem in my controller/camera that when both local and remote player characters move simultaneously the remote character starts to flicker. Also the flicker is seen on the local character nametag.

Any tips on how to solve this?

Here is how it looks (the remote character is in the bottom right corner, and if you look really carefully you should also see the nametag flicker on the local character which is in the middle of the screen):

HeroBlade 2012 10 28 10 25 41 72
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 12, 08:53:34 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: tips on remote character flicker problem
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 12, 09:14:50 AM »

It looks to me like the root bone is in some imprecise state. Does the same thing happen when you just leave the local player's plane frozen in the center of the screen like that?

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 12, 01:37:33 PM »

I don't see it (or it's not as obvious) when the local player is frozen. Only when the local player is moving as well.
Hopefully this video shows it better, first with frozen local player and then with both local and remote characters moving:

http://youtu.be/0CTbReIazvw

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 12, 02:45:03 PM »

Almost looks like the pre-animation/post-animation in the controller is bouncing it back and forth (fixed something like that recently, looked identical to what you are seeing).  Was more to do with controller to controller attachments we have with vehicles, but might want to check if there isn't something trying to "drop" the vehicle when it is stationary only to have it offset back up to position.
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 12, 01:05:03 PM »

Hmmm, i don't quite understand what you mean by "drop"?
Are you suggesting that i move the remote character movement to the _onPostAnimUpdate method instead of the _onPreAnimUpdate?

I remeber that i read somewhere that the remote player characters and non player characters have a lower update rate... could that be the reason for this inconsistency?

I am also suspecting camera movement, which i didn't touch at all... i might have to rewrite some of that code...

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 12, 08:53:23 PM »

He's saying it looks like there is a force acting against the player, then immediately being counteracted.