HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Some Questions about animation in HE.  (Read 3451 times)

LopivNest

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Snow Cloud Entertainment
[Resolved] Some Questions about animation in HE.
« on: Oct 29, 12, 03:48:55 AM »

Hi everybody.

First of all, I would like to know some things related with animation in HE. In our Project, we need to animate Ships, as PN-Dwight told and asked about, We need to animate ships moving from left to right, in terms of inclination of the ship, but a question has arrived to my head. Should i use Bones to make my ship inclinates from one side to another? You know, that typical movement that ships make when water is waving hard....Or are there another possibilities instead using bones for this kind of movements?...Because i see a bit useless using bones for this....
Thank you so much.... :)
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 12, 04:14:26 PM by HE-Cooper »
3D designer and World Builder in Piratesī Nest

grogbro

• World Owners
  • ZOMBIES! YAY! RUN!!
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Some Questions about animation in HE.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 12, 07:41:08 AM »

Do you mean just the rocking motion of the boat? If so, I would definitely use a bone and skin your model for making a rocking motion. That animation would basically just be your idle I would imagine. Your Move forward would then just be a more aggressive push into the waves with the front of the boat lurching up more as it moves. And of course some particle wave goodness on the front of the boat ;)

I am sure there might be a more complicated way of doing it with actual physics (?) according to how the water moves but that might be a lot more expensive, and I am not sure how that would be done with the 'player'.

LopivNest

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 12, 08:25:51 AM »

Mostly yes, i Mean an idle animation, but it is ridiculous that i must use bones and skin for a ship :o....What i was asking too, in addition of that rocking animation, is that if i must use always bones in HE, or are there any other possibilities, besides bones system? My ship is a galleon and has lots of parts, so skinning only the hull and after that make it work close to the other parts, is a bit complicated.....

grogbro

• World Owners
  • ZOMBIES! YAY! RUN!!
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 12, 09:02:35 AM »

the ship is meant to be controlled like a player character though right? I think using bones is the only way you will be able to do it since its meant to be the PC. And maybe model and part swaps for other things you want happening on the ship.

If you are a crew member on the ship then that's another story.

LopivNest

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 12, 10:22:44 AM »

No, i forgot to tell it, itīs an animated asset, (at least, by the moment), so not PC.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 12, 10:25:15 AM »

you need to be more specific about what it is that you're doing. Is there some solution in some other engine you're talking about? You either animate things relative to bones, or you animate them via a path and waypoint nodes, or you animated them by moving and manipulating them via script. I've never heard of any other options in game development.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 12, 12:35:17 PM »

If part of your game design is some complicated water/waves system, it might make sense to have the rocking of the boats controlled by script. 

A simpler version of this would be a rotate bone sequence, where the script is only acting on the fkob that controls the rotation.

In all likely hood, it would be simplest to just have a simple skeleton and animate the asset in Max or Maya.  this would also allow you to have bones in other parts of the boats, for example the sails or boom, so that you can add more life and motion to it!

LopivNest

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 12, 12:21:29 PM »

this is an animated asset, not a Controller, So It must be done via scripting...is the fastest solution.