HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Resolved] Light Appearing Through Assets.  (Read 2057 times)

Ineedcash12

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Dead End Games Inc.
[Resolved] Light Appearing Through Assets.
« on: Nov 26, 12, 07:27:06 PM »

Hello Agian,

We have light appearing through objects.

The lights, which are on the first floor of our prototype shop, show through the ceiling assets, causing light to appear on 2nd floor.

DONT FORGET LIGHT PROPERTIES SCREEN SHOT IS BELOW IMAGES, HAD TO BE LINK TO BE BIG ENOUGH TO SEE DETAILS.

Poperties ScreenShot

http://imgur.com/x9vYA
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 12, 08:40:02 AM by HE-Cooper »
Vortex Online - www.play-vortex.com
Dead End Games Inc. - www.dead-end-games.com

Lunchbox

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • BrandNGames
Re: Light Appearing Through Assets.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 12, 07:57:45 PM »

I believe there was a post way way back on this issue and why it happens, but for the life of me I don't remember the title or anything.

Ineedcash12

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Dead End Games Inc.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 12, 08:16:42 PM »

Ok, let me do some searches :)

If anyone else finds it, please post.

Thanks

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 12, 10:55:53 PM »

You would just need to confine the lights rooms to control their visibility.

Ineedcash12

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Dead End Games Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 12, 12:13:27 AM »

I ran into another problem, atleast I think I did, its 1:15 am, so I'll post when I get up.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 12, 06:10:49 PM »

Rooms do help, but they still leak out even if in rooms in some cases. Also they don't cast shadows which is my major gripe. Hoping for an upgrade in the area in the future.

Ineedcash12

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Dead End Games Inc.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 12, 11:25:11 PM »

Getting the hang of the room creation and adding assets to them can be a bit overwhelming at times, mostly because its a hard concept to learn, but getting the hang of it now.

A issue I have found would be this.

2 story shop with stairs leading up to second floor with a torch at the top, and bottom of these stairs.

1st floor (ground Level), has torch at bottom of stairs in room (shop0).

2nd Floor (upstairs), has torch at top of stairs in room (shop1)

The staircase can't be in either room, so you get light from the ground level torch looking correctly on the stairs, or the upstairs torch looking correctly with the other having its light end at the top or bottom of the stairs.

The light has to be set to stay in room or will leak through assets, appearing oddly like above pictures.

Is there a work around, or anything?...

Also, about the light not casting shadows, it would be nice if given the feature to let it cast shadows, and let us be able to turn on or off if too intensive, or let the user decide.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 12, 12:39:03 PM »

Traditionally online games (and many other non online games) don't use deferred rendering for things like light sources casting shadows, and objects obscuring shadows, for the very reason why we don't. Way too big of a performance hit. You'll still see even in high end games, that things like shadows frequently continue on through modeled objects.

We're moving to a deferred render system over the next calendar year, as player's hardware reaches new levels, but I suspect even once it's in place it will be something that many developers end up disabling in favor of performance gains. Sidenote, just us going to shader model 3.0 and HDR cut out 20% of the machines currently playing World of Warcraft. Food for thought.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 12, 01:53:25 PM »

Fallback options are always good as it allows you to cover a wide gambit of hardware.   It sounds like you are going to have dual rendering options with deferred and forward moving forward, so that also helps a lot.  It is crazy to watch what people will put up with playing WoW.  People getting 3 or 4 FPS and still playing.
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: [Resolved] Light Appearing Through Assets.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 12, 07:02:30 PM »

What's more crazy is some expect all mmos to run on their system like WOW. It came out eight years ago, it would be nice if the engine could run on WOW specs, but it's just not realistic.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 12, 07:13:18 PM »

Well, keep in mind the min specs for WoW have gone up dramatically with every expansion though. But even then, they are still far lower than any other single player PC game. The danger is when players and developers start expecting massive games to have the same graphical quality and system specs of the single player games, that spells dooooom.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 12, 06:09:05 PM »

I play wow on max graphics on my tablet pc with no lag at all. Its still not pretty...

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 12, 06:41:07 PM »

Intel® Pentium® D or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2   Intel Core™ 2 Duo
Video   NVIDIA® GeForce® 6800 or ATI™ Radeon™ X1600 Pro (256 MB)
Memory   2 GB RAM (1 GB Windows XP)

Those are the current minimum specs in WoW, they have came up quite a bit since it was first released as Cooper has mentioned.  Those aren't really all that bad in the total scale of things.  Quite a few people play way under that though I am sure, not looking at exact numbers I would still figure most of the Intel onboard video offerings are below a 6800 or very close at least.

They have had added DX11 (or maybe it was DX10) and a few other things here/there, but in general they have a wide audience and wish to keep it.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 12, 06:49:46 PM »

However, what I am getting at.

http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/System+Specifications

I would say it is a much better looking game visually and their system specs are lower at least by that specification (they are both fairly close).  That is just a good example of CryEngine being able to scale/fall back and I am sure their design decisions as well.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 12, 12:13:22 PM »

My son played Aion on a first gen core duo with a GTS 250 nvidia, it runs, but it isn't smooth at all, even with everything on low. Those minimum specs are just to boot the game basically, it will run like crap though, a really choppy 15 FPS if that.
Pages: [1] 2