HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] making trees created in 3Ds moving with the wind  (Read 4484 times)

Seryse

• World Owners
    • View Profile

Hello,

Is it possible to make my trees and plants i created in 3Ds Max moving with the wind just as the speedtree ones or the dynamic details?
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 12, 02:42:17 PM by HE-Cooper »

Lunchbox

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • BrandNGames
Re: making trees created in 3Ds moving with the wind
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 12, 02:09:33 PM »

If you do them as static models you would need to animate them. Speed tree exports with a few things in the model that the code sees and goes oh we can animate those in the wind. Its more complicated then that but thats the general gist of it.
You could export them with different animations attached through max and then just call them in code but thats like reinventing the wheel. You would be better off just waiting for Sapphire which will have speed tree 6.
You could try dynamic details but I dont know enough about the restrictions and limitations of that system to be of any help with that.

Seryse

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 12, 02:26:15 PM »

Thanks for the fast answear!
:'( too bad it's so complicated but I was kinda sure of that^^
Speedtree 6 seems to be really complicated, I downloaded the trial on the official website and i'm not sure i could do things such these plants i'd need in my world

I'll try to animate them in 3Ds and export maybe as animated assets just with a small loop animation, but as you can see my work, i'm pretty noob using 3Ds so it's gonna be tuff to make it realistic... If anyone has another tip, any advice would help!

Lunchbox

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • BrandNGames
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 12, 03:39:13 PM »

Have you looked at seeing if you can import from max? Unfortunately the speedtree I do have installed is on my old system which is no longer running so I cant check. But I assume you can import a base mesh to start with though I could be very wrong.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 12, 04:49:06 PM »

Have you looked at seeing if you can import from max? Unfortunately the speedtree I do have installed is on my old system which is no longer running so I cant check. But I assume you can import a base mesh to start with though I could be very wrong.

This is correct; in the newer versions of SpeedTree, you are able to import certain meshes and even build speedtree's around the mesh. For example: importing a house and creating a tree that  goes through the house.

The good thing with speedtree's is that they already move in the wind. A lot of objects with a looping animation is not adviced; my personal testing has shown that a lot of objects in the scene with looping animations affect performance heavily.

Conclusion: Keep on biting in 3DS MAX and in SpeedTree. Artists do not fall from the heavens ;)

Seryse

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 12, 03:15:59 AM »

So i just have to export my work to speedtree and maybe tell him "this is trunc, this is leaves,...." then export to HE? That's a great news ! I was afraid to be locked in some prefabricated vegetation where creativity has a very small place 8)
that's the best news of the day ;D
Thanks guys for your help, really appreciated.
Any clue when Sapphire and Speedtree 6.0 will be available for us?

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 12, 08:52:00 AM »

So i just have to export my work to speedtree and maybe tell him "this is trunc, this is leaves,...." then export to HE? That's a great news ! I was afraid to be locked in some prefabricated vegetation where creativity has a very small place 8)

Now now there, I did not type this :P

You model the tree's in SpeedTree. You cannot import a "3dsmax-tree" and tell SpeedTree that "this is the trunc, this is the leaves".

About creativity: I did some things already in SpeedTree, and once you use all the features and build your own textures, trees can look really amazing and you can also build those things. For example, you can start with these video's and tutorials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtoteL7sMj8
http://www.speedtree.com/tree-modeling.php

After that, take a look at EACH AND EVERY ONE of the following trees (you can even find dragons created with speedtree)
https://store.speedtree.com/trees/

Seryse

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 12, 10:22:03 AM »

argh dang! sorry misunderstood, or maybe i understood what i wanted to hear lol
Thanks a lot for all these links, i will use them with great interest :)

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 12, 12:04:53 PM »

Cooper has a Speedtree 6 video tutorial on how to build a Speedtree from scratch in the World building forum. I wouldn't bother using animated mesh trees. The tree in that image can be made using Speedtree. Can make anything, plus the leaves billboard, which is why the speedtree looks good from any angle, can't do that with a mesh model. It really isn't that hard to use, watch Cooper's tutorial. Best of luck.

Seryse

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 12, 01:19:51 PM »

thanks stadi , will do! :)

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 12, 06:51:32 PM »

play around with speed tree its a super program once you get the hang of it, in one game I was toying with, we used speed tree to make all the flora, including the grass, bushes, hedges. I went a bit over kill as a proof of concept. End result was low performance costs with lots of plants all moving and swaying in the wind, with lots of movement all around.

Remember the trunk can be half an inch tall and you can add frones of your building and make it work for any plant you want. Not just trees, if you get really creative you can make a bunch of things with speedtree. Just have to keep balance between 5,000 stalks of speedtree grass moving in a golden wave, vs what your client specs are. lol

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 12, 09:32:34 PM »

play around with speed tree its a super program once you get the hang of it, in one game I was toying with, we used speed tree to make all the flora, including the grass, bushes, hedges. I went a bit over kill as a proof of concept. End result was low performance costs with lots of plants all moving and swaying in the wind, with lots of movement all around.

Remember the trunk can be half an inch tall and you can add frones of your building and make it work for any plant you want. Not just trees, if you get really creative you can make a bunch of things with speedtree. Just have to keep balance between 5,000 stalks of speedtree grass moving in a golden wave, vs what your client specs are. lol

HeroEngine has it's own grass and foilage/dynamicdetail system. You make grass with that using billboard images. I recommend using Speedtree only for trees and bushes. Also speedtree LODs in sapphire.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 12, 04:31:16 PM »

HeroEngine has it's own grass and foilage/dynamicdetail system. You make grass with that using billboard images. I recommend using Speedtree only for trees and bushes. Also speedtree LODs in sapphire.

totally agree to use the foliage system when you can, just wanted to point out that you can do very unique "plants" with speedtree as well.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]