HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] restore script system?  (Read 1327 times)

byberg

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] restore script system?
« on: Nov 30, 12, 02:14:06 PM »

Since my coder seems to vanished from the face of the earth im kind of stuck on our code issue. Not really sure its a scripting error or if its the GOM we have problem with.

Is there anyway to restore the system to default? since we havent done to much terrain work we could just start over. (mainly done modeling and tested them)

As for now we cant do anything since the areas dont load properly due to the unknown error... REALLY need help here.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 12, 11:26:39 AM by HE-Cooper »

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
Re: restore script system?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 12, 02:59:20 PM »

Its ashame when this happens. And as indie developers usually with little or no budget, we have to "hire" coders on trust and hope that they know what they are doing.

We have had this problem recently, where an old messy coder came in and left our system in the lurch. There doesnt seem to be one solution that will fix it with a simple reset.

But ive asked around and this tip from Scottzarnke might help you guys out.

"Take a look at this part of the page on the script editor:
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Script_Editor#Tools

It shows how to setup an external diff program.  p4merge is recommended; others can work, but you would need to figure out what to enter for the lines in the options dialog.

The p4merge download can be found here:
http://www.perforce.com/downloads/complete_list

Choose your platform and OS, then under Clients you will see P4Merge: Visual Merge Tool.  Beside it you will see a green "Accept and Download" button.

When you install, you really only need the P4Merge program and can leave out other components of the installation, since submitting the scripts to the repo is done through the Script Editor.

After that is installed and the options in the script editor are set, open the script history (Ctrl-H) and double click any version to open a diff of that version versus the last one submitted.  The older one will be listed under "Other".  If you have any changes saved but not submitted, yet, you can double click the latest version in the history to compare that to the unsubmitted changes.

NOTE: Occasionally, you might double-click a version and a popup says, "No such version".  In that case, try double-clicking another version, particularly the latest one, then go back to the original attempt.

The HeroWiki mentions being able to single-click any version to be able to compare it to any other version, but that does not appear to work.  You can only compare to the latest submitted one.

You can also right-click a file in the repo browser and select an option to view its history, where you can restore old versions of repo files."

Its not the most perfect way of trying to reset, but its a start. Allthough you still have to know what is broken to be able to check for different versions etc.

byberg

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 12, 03:22:56 PM »

ah okey. Will need to check that out. Hoped that maybe the HE team could restore the account in some way.. that would be best....

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 12, 06:08:34 PM »

Im not certain they cant, as there are only a few threads out there like this ( made one ) and didnt get a response from a HE staffer. They either can or cant. I just dont know :)

Brian_SG

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 12, 06:49:23 PM »

I had an issue where our World crashed as soon as we selected a character.  We couldn't figure out what was going on.  I spent a week going through all the recently changed code, but couldn't find anything unusual.  Finally, I emailed the HE people if we could reset our world and I was told they don't do that.  A couple weeks later, they emailed me to let me know they looked into what was going on and couldn't figure out why it was crashing either.  So they decided to give us a new world so they could focus on trying to figure out how we screwed up ours so badly.

A couple weeks after that, I talked to Herb about it in person at GDC, which was pretty cool.  Really nice guy.  Anyways, as it turned out, one of our junior programmers created an infinite loop in the GUI system.  I didn't know he was working with the GUI, so I never thought to look there.  Cooper told me they then patched the code to make it so it was no longer possible to do what we did.

Long story short, we got a new world, but we might be a special case. I'm going to imagine the HE peeps don't want to make a habit of giving people new worlds or lots of new developers are going to ask every time they break something.

As others have mentioned, version control like P4Merge is a good route to prevent these issues in the future.  P4Merge is free.  Plus, Perforce is the industry standard, so getting used to the free version is a good idea anyways.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 12, 08:23:38 AM »

Correct, we don't provide new worlds. All things are version controlled in the repo, and the script editor, and we already lose money on every world that comes online. Early on in the process, we also learned that if a group is capable of breaking their stuff that badly, they'll need to learn how to get themselves out of it, otherwise they'll just do it again. If you've managed to write broken enough code that it is preventing you from doing other work, then roll back all those changes or if you don't have any engineers on your team, then you might have to think about buying an additional world as a testing environment.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 12, 09:44:13 AM »

We have 2 worlds (Lifetime), and I might say that it was the best decision made. For our new developers, we can get them used to HeroEngine in our "world-where-we-break-stuff-A-LOT-and-dont-fix-things". It also shows the team that if you are not careful, that will be the end-result.

Once they feel comfortable, they are moving to the actual game-world and start production :)

I would deffinitely advice anyone to take at LEAST 2 worlds. It helped us greatly in development, and we don't get errors that often anymore: biggest issue we had in the last 2 months is that our modeller rendered the models and saved that information in the user-defined settings in 3DS MAX :D