HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Part System: Hair & Headgear (overlapping parts)  (Read 872 times)

Triplelexx

• World Owners
    • View Profile

Hi there,
I've been thinking about dynamic character parts for human characters, and wondering the best approach for something like hair and headgear to work in combination.

Assuming you'd use geometry for hair(not planning on having lice infested world), would the best solution be to have separate slots? Or would you want to check what options had been selected and then apply one model in the head attachment slot?

A bit lost here as to how to approach something that's wouldn't be a straight swap at seams.

Belts are another example, would you attach them on top? This would seem like the best approach for such items, but say you wanted to go as far as having loops in your pants and the belt fitting perfectly it would seem like it would have take multiple model for every combination to look best.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 13, 03:48:56 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Part System: Hair & Headgear (overlapping parts)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 12, 02:26:10 PM »

If you look at the the HJ character system, you'll see that it makes use of a lot of rules in the part file to dictate how certain parts interact.  The substitute command, in particular, is used to swap to a hair mesh that works properly when certain headgear is equipped .  Sometimes, with a full helmet for example, the hair slot is hidden all together.

In general, I'd say you shouldn't need to swap out the head model just to have perfectly attached hair bits with no overlap/intersection with the skull.

As for belts, your question really gets to the heart of game art.  Do you have time/manpower to create things that work perfectly as they should (belts in the loops)?  Is it IMPORTANT to the overall game experience that the belts fit perfectly in each pants' loops?

In most cases, if you can concept your assets in such a way that sidesteps complicated design issues, it is probably a better idea (though it may hurt artistically, I can relate!).  Dealing with limitations practically is the story of game art.  Mario was given a hat because hair was hard to do at the time and a mustache to make his nose stand out!
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 12, 02:27:43 PM by HE-BENNETT »

Triplelexx

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Re: Part System: Hair & Headgear (overlapping parts)
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 12, 05:10:46 PM »

Thanks for the reply, that helps. I'm going to look over the HJ stuff before I get stuck in again, I'll look at this command and see if it may be of use as well.

Overall I think it best to follow your advice and try and limit choices, such as having pants and belts as one model.

I think it's important things look correct, but don't see the need to have more than a trouser/pant slot, that would allow some variation in models with different belts for cosmetic reasons but keep it one object for instance.

I'll keep giving it a good think.